how to tell gender of sulcata

turtletopia81

Location (City and/or State)
tulsa, ok
I have a ten year old sulcata with a very concaved plastron and longish tail. My four year old has a slightly maybe even non concaved plastron and a short tail. Is 4 too young to definitively classify it as a male or female? When do gender defining features manifest themselves? My ten yr old is 17" and my 4 yr old is 13" if that's relevant.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have a ten year old sulcata with a very concaved plastron and longish tail. My four year old has a slightly maybe even non concaved plastron and a short tail. Is 4 too young to definitively classify it as a male or female? When do gender defining features manifest themselves? My ten yr old is 17" and my 4 yr old is 13" if that's relevant.
Ten should be old enough, four, i'm not so certain.
Post some pictures of the underside an tail region and some of the peeps here may be able to tell.
Torts seem to grow and mature at different rates, so I doubt there's a precise age when you can be certain.

turtletopia81

tulsa, ok
Ok I will tomorrow. I've heard they need to be 5 or so to tell but 13" seems pretty big to me for a 4 yr old so hoping I may be able to have a hint earlier