how to tell if a lamp has a ceramic socket for CHE?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i'm going to be upgrading enclosures in a few day's and i will be needing another CHE to help keep up temps and i was wondering if there is a way i can tell if a lamp has a ceramic socket or not i bought my last CHE and lamp together so i didn't have to go looking for a ceramic socket but i have extra lamps without bulbs in them and i was wondering if there is away to identify a ceramic socket as to maybe save some $$$ on a new fixture

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think it's fairly easy to tell them apart.

Look at the casing around the socket (where a bulb screws in)... Is it plastic? Or is it solid and thick, closer to the material of a coffee mug?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Team Gomberg said:
I think it's fairly easy to tell them apart.

Look at the casing around the socket (where a bulb screws in)... Is it plastic? Or is it solid and thick, closer to the material of a coffee mug?

thanks i'm going to assume they are plastic just because it's black where as my other one i know ceramic is whitish color

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I have never seen any ceramic socket for the lighting we need to use that was any other color then white. However, as Heather said, there is a big difference and easy to distinguish between the plastic and ceramic.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Ceramic is made of ceramic so when you tap on it with your nail, it will feel heavy and make a clinking sound like when you tap on a flower pot or coffee mug. Go get a terra cotta saucer and feel it. The ceramic dome's housing will feel the same way. Plastic ones feel light and cheap. You might have to buy the ceramic one from a pet store if none of your local hardware stores carry them (some do not). As said, it will be white(ish). If all else fails, read the lable or ask for help. The people at the store will know.