fixture for ceramic heat emitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

honghong

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a 40w exo-terra ceramic heat emitter. Since i have a spare exo-terra glow light porcelain clamp lamp (medium size, 150 max wattage), is it safe for me to use the CHE with the glow light lamp?

The instruction on the CHE states that exo-terra CHE should only be used with the exo-terra wired lamp. So i was wondering if it was safe to use the CHE with the glow light lamp instead. I was hoping to prevent the need to buy another wired lamp. Thanks for all advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as its a ceramic socket and the wattage of the lamp will accommodate the wattage of the CHE then your good. I use my CHE's in lamps that I buy from both Home Depot and ones you buy from pet stores and have never had a problem with them not being in the kind of lamp they suggest. I do believe its just a money thing that they say it must be used in the exo-terra.

honghong

5 Year Member
wellington thanks for your advice, really appreciate it. I was thinking of that too, since the exo terra lamp has a ceramic socket and is rated at 150w max i suppose its safe to use. Thanks for the reassurance.

However, just a side note, i did tried using the CHE with the exo terra lamp, but i smell a little bit of a burnt smell (like melted rubber/plastic) coming from the top of the lamp where the wire is coming out from. Its just a very faint smell that is only obvious when i go very near it. other than that everything is fine. Is this something i have to worry about? sorry this is my first time using CHE, thus the many questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never smelled anything like that. It is a ceramic socket correct? Are you sure there was no plastic stuck to it from the package or something else. I don't think I would use it if there is any kind of burning smell.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
honghong said:
wellington thanks for your advice, really appreciate it. I was thinking of that too, since the exo terra lamp has a ceramic socket and is rated at 150w max i suppose its safe to use. Thanks for the reassurance.

However, just a side note, i did tried using the CHE with the exo terra lamp, but i smell a little bit of a burnt smell (like melted rubber/plastic) coming from the top of the lamp where the wire is coming out from. Its just a very faint smell that is only obvious when i go very near it. other than that everything is fine. Is this something i have to worry about? sorry this is my first time using CHE, thus the many questions.

Don't quote me on this but I think I have read that it's not abnormal for the CHE to have a faint smell when first using it. Mine had one the first day or two and also it went away. I also use mine in a regular standard dome light. Like Wellington states, as long as the socket is ceramic and is rated for the amount of watts the CHE is, it should be fine.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

honghong

5 Year Member
The light dome was previously used for a mvb, i also tried it out on another similar light dome and i still detected the faint smell. Im quite sure there is no plastic stuck to it. But i only switch on the CHE for about 30mins to test whether it was working, did not let it operate for long as my set up is not ready yet.

theelectraco im hoping its like what you state, its normal for CHE to have the smell in the beginning. My light domes are from exo terra and have ceramic sockets and are rated 150w max ( the CHE is rated 40w), so i guess it should be fine to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.