I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WOKE UP

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Yesterday, I was in my Redfoot garden and saw a movement out of the side of my eye. Looked in the desert tortoise enclosure to see that Jasmine has come out of her burrow and is eating the greens of, jjust planted desert seeds. She ate a little, drank a lot and we shall see.
Leave it to Calif. weather.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's been awfully mild. I only turned my greenhouse heater on 5 times this winter, and it's usually on every night all winter long. The nights here have been in the upper 40's consistently. My desert tortoise's are pretty well insulated under about 3' of leaves, so I doubt they're feeling the warmness just yet.

Is your tortoise's burrow in the ground?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Yvonne,

Yours sound very comfortable!
This tortoise has a burrow that is two feet deep. Maybe the ceiling is too high. Her roof, which can be removed is covered with rocks and then a lot of dirt.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She's kinda like me, needing a little snack and a drink of water once in a while during that long nights sleep:D. Pretty cool how she just pops up and can just help herself to some food:)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
She's kinda like me, needing a little snack and a drink of water once in a while during that long nights sleep:D. Pretty cool how she just pops up and can just help herself to some food:)

I feel the same way about waking up for a snack :). We just built this burrow, prior to winter, as our climate is so mild. I hate to think of her in the garage, in her box, awake. We did check on her often but this is much better.
:)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you for sharing, time to open the doors to the burrows here. Extended forecast is showing highs 85 F degs and lows in the high 50's even a 60 next week. I'm sure it's just a spring teaser, but we'll take it!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Mine are all waking up. It's been spring weather in Southern California. I wouldn't worry to much

Kyle

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Jasmin is very nice looking! I can't believe this weather either. We will be at 79-80 all week. I love her burrow, it looks safe and cozy!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I sometimes feel a little bad foe calif. tortoisesone week it"s cold, next week shorts time. Calif. def. has bi-polar weather