Waking up during hibernation

bryson white

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My desert tortoise has been hibernating outside but it’s been getting cold the past few nights so I have been bringing my tortoise inside but since the weather is going to be a little warmer at night I decided to put him back out when I put him in his burrow he came out and ate plants I have in his enclosure and drank a lot of water. Is there any cause for concern? I’ve been reading about gut rot but what should I do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My desert tortoise has been hibernating outside but it’s been getting cold the past few nights so I have been bringing my tortoise inside but since the weather is going to be a little warmer at night I decided to put him back out when I put him in his burrow he came out and ate plants I have in his enclosure and drank a lot of water. Is there any cause for concern? I’ve been reading about gut rot but what should I do?
Yes. There is cause for concern. Bringing him in and having warm sunny days isn't hibernating. Inactivity during a few cool days isn't hibernating. What is happening there could kill him.

In our artificial backyard enclosures, conditions are not right for them to hibernate on their own. We have to help them.

You can read the whole thread, but post #19 describes what needs to be done.

There is more info here on ways to control temps and help your tortoise:

After two weeks of warm temps and no food, THEN you can begin cooling. You must get it cool and keep it consistently cool for the duration of hibernation. Room temp in your house, and fluctuating temperatures outdoors is not adequate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what exactly could kill him the food he ate or bringing him in?
1. Food eaten during a warm spell and then rotting in the gut when things cool again.
2. Inconsistent temperatures during hibernation.
3. Warm temperatures during hibernation. Room temp is much too warm, unless your room is consistently 45-50 degrees all winter long.

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
1. Food eaten during a warm spell and then rotting in the gut when things cool again.
2. Inconsistent temperatures during hibernation.
3. Warm temperatures during hibernation. Room temp is much too warm, unless your room is consistently 45-50 degrees all winter long.
Ok thank you for clarifying