I finally got my box turtles!!!I have some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cecilia, Kentucky
We just got 2 baby three toed box turtles ,they are 8 weeks old.
They are very alert and active. I've had adult boxies going up but never babies.
I have just a few questions:
1.Do they need to be soaked daily
2.I've read to just feed them once a day is that ok
they are eating mazuri,saw them eat some dandelion greens and they
go crazy for worms!!
3.How much humidity ,right now its 60-70 %
4.Also is it the same with torts bigger is better concerning enclosures
we moved the sulcatas outside and now the box turtles are in the covered tort table which is 4X8 feet long.(New substrate)
5.What plants should I add to the enclosure
ok maybe that was more than a few questions lol :)

dcpidu.jpg

1gm1qp.jpg

96kiky.jpg

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
what cute little dudes!

for care instructions - www.aboxturtle.com

babies are pretty aquatic and need to be kept ideally in a moss/water mix for the first several months of life.

i would personally avoid mazuri and stick with worms, crickets, greens, fruit, etc.

the size of the table should be good for these guys when they're old enough to be moved to a damp and deep substrate mix (i prefer coconut coir and you can also add leaf litter.)

hope that helps!

We just got 2 baby three toed box turtles ,they are 8 weeks old.
They are very alert and active. I've had adult boxies going up but never babies.
I have just a few questions:
1.Do they need to be soaked daily
2.I've read to just feed them once a day is that ok
they are eating mazuri,saw them eat some dandelion greens and they
go crazy for worms!!
3.How much humidity ,right now its 60-70 %
4.Also is it the same with torts bigger is better concerning enclosures
we moved the sulcatas outside and now the box turtles are in the covered tort table which is 4X8 feet long.(New substrate)
5.What plants should I add to the enclosure
ok maybe that was more than a few questions lol :)

dcpidu.jpg

1gm1qp.jpg

96kiky.jpg

[/quote]

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
I would soak them everyday until they lean to go in their bowl on their own. Bigger is better with hiding places for the boxies. They are super cute! Enjoy.

katelyn0974 said:
I would soak them everyday until they lean to go in their bowl on their own. Bigger is better with hiding places for the boxies. They are super cute! Enjoy.

Learn*

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, it looks like you have it all figured out. The only potential problem I see, is the size of their habitat.With my very young turtles, I like to do head counts and soaks at least every other day. I think it might be difficult for you to find them in that huge area. I sometimes have a difficult time finding all of mine in a 40 gal aquarium. They look good, and it sounds like they're eating good.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
yagyujubei said:
Well, it looks like you have it all figured out. The only potential problem I see, is the size of their habitat.With my very young turtles, I like to do head counts and soaks at least every other day. I think it might be difficult for you to find them in that huge area. I sometimes have a difficult time finding all of mine in a 40 gal aquarium. They look good, and it sounds like they're eating good.

Yes I was rethinking the size last night and will be putting a board across the table to make it a lot smaller. I will be ordering some bloodworms and new Zealand moss soon too.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
yagyujubei said:

I agree. Once they dig under in an enclosure that size it will be very hard to find them. I also keep mine in a 40 gal breeder, planted vivarium, and find it very hard to find them each day. They are so adorable when they're that little.

Status
Not open for further replies.