i need a baby sulcata please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron101

5 Year Member
i want a baby sulcata for my other one. i have experience so please reply:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Before you get another one. Do you realize that tortoises or loners? They would rather be by themselves. So your tort doesn't need or want a friend. Also, They will probably need to be sperated when they get a little larger. Also, please read the threads at the bottom of this post, by my signature, they are all good reads for raising a healthy sulcata.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
wellington said:
Before you get another one. Do you realize that tortoises or loners? They would rather be by themselves. So your tort doesn't need or want a friend. Also, They will probably need to be sperated when they get a little larger. Also, please read the threads at the bottom of this post, by my signature, they are all good reads for raising a healthy sulcata.

Any new tortoise must be kept entirely separately from yours for a good 6 months in quarantine.

As wellington says, there are no guarantees that they will get on as they get older.

Unless you have the means to keep them entirely separately and are prepared to accept that this may have to be permanent, don't get another.

baron101

5 Year Member
yes i will keep them separate for a while till i think they should be put together. i was going to wait 6 to 8 months

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they may not even be good together.. or the may need to be seperate when they get a bit older.. as long as you are prepared for that and know it may happen.. get another!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
baron101 said:
people have many sulcatas living together

You can house two for awhile when young but as they mature be ready to separate them if they start to fight. if you do not have room for two enclosures I would stick to just one:tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
baron101 said:
people have many sulcatas living together

With lots of area, acreage and lots of site barriers, sometimes Sulcata's can live together, for a while, but may have to be separated. However, with that much land, if they started to fight, you would have enough space to give their own enclosures. If you don't have that kind of room, you shouldn't get another one. Your sulcata really does not want a room mate. Of course the decision is yours, just be prepared.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
The thing is Sulcata breeds are very mean, they prefer to live alone or separated.
There has been many cases of both babies and adults getting hurt or sick even dying because of living with another tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.