I need some advice on my enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Cockram

5 Year Member
I have two young Herman torts ... They're not big! I have a large enclosure for them with heat and UV etc. I am worried about putting anything in there for them to climb on as my friend told me about someone he knew who did this. Their tort fell off and landed on its back under the heat bulb... Unfortunately it did not survive. Obviously I would not put the object for them to climb on anywhere near the heat lamp as the enclosure is plenty big enough but I'm still unsure. I don't want to risk one of them falling on their back as I am out all day but I want to put something in there for them ??

Any advice on this really would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jack.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The sooner they learn to climb safely the better. I own a practised mountaineer and he hasn't tipped in a couple of years.

Let them practise and learn, make sure there are plenty of stones and objects for them to use to lever themselves back. Remove the biggest obstacles if you are going to be out for an hour or more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Probably the safest thing to put in would be a mound of dirt, like a little hill. Not as easy as other things to fall off of. Some also will put ramps that have sides on them, like railings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It depends upon where they tip over. If they are directly under a light they will die quite quickly. Babies seem to be able to live longer than adults.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The other thing that seems to help is having uneven surfaces near the lamp, like larger stones embedded in the substrate, etc. If they are on their back at a slant, they can usually right themselves.
The hill idea is a good one too.

I guess this is why people get webcams, so they can secretly watch their torts when they are at work!

Jack Cockram

5 Year Member
Many thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. I will post some pictures soon of my enclosure for some more advise if needed.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.