Need some advice please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoahsEarth

5 Year Member
I am very new to all of this but my family and I want to get a couple of tortoises to add to our family. I was looking at tortoise tables over teraniums because I dont like glass enclosures. So I have come up with a very cool idea for a home for our new additions. I haven't got them yet but I want to their home to be complete when I get them. Meaning environment at its best all around. So here we go with my idea.

I am going to turn the wood storage section of my fireplace into the tortoise resort. The storage part itself is 32x30 however the inside height is like 36 inches. So I was thinking of hanging the lights inside the storage area so they would not be seen but still beable to provide the right climate for the torts. All that said, when the project is finshed the heat and uv lights would be apporximatley 20 to 24 inches from the substrate. What size heat lamp should I use to be able to accomplish this or will I have to bring the lights closer? Will the UV CFL be able to be hung this way as well? I have the ability to hang a couple of heat lamps and uv lamps if need be to get the climate. What do you guys think?

Attached is a pic of the fireplace: the area I am speaking of is on the left
View attachment 14101

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
NoahsEarth said:
I am very new to all of this but my family and I want to get a couple of tortoises to add to our family. I was looking at tortoise tables over teraniums because I dont like glass enclosures. So I have come up with a very cool idea for a home for our new additions. I haven't got them yet but I want to their home to be complete when I get them. Meaning environment at its best all around. So here we go with my idea.

I am going to turn the wood storage section of my fireplace into the tortoise resort. The storage part itself is 32x30 however the inside height is like 36 inches. So I was thinking of hanging the lights inside the storage area so they would not be seen but still beable to provide the right climate for the torts. All that said, when the project is finshed the heat and uv lights would be apporximatley 20 to 24 inches from the substrate. What size heat lamp should I use to be able to accomplish this or will I have to bring the lights closer? Will the UV CFL be able to be hung this way as well? I have the ability to hang a couple of heat lamps and uv lamps if need be to get the climate. What do you guys think?

Attached is a pic of the fireplace: the area I am speaking of is on the left

A couple of things first, I deleted all your other thread tries. When you first join your first five posts must be approved by a Moderator. That means until one comes into the forum, none of your posts will show. ;)

Next do you use your fireplace? What kind of tortoises are you thinking?

Almost forgot, welcome to TFO! :tort:

NoahsEarth

5 Year Member
No we do not use our fireplace. I capped it off last year. We are thinking between Leopards, sulcatas, or russians...which do you prefer for beginners....thanks for replying I was trying to see about posting permissions but could not find anything sorry for the absurd amount of tries...:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The number of tries was okay, just wanted to explain to you (and anybody else who may be reading your thread and be in the same boat :cool: :D ).

Are these guys going to have summers outside? Are you wanting this for a long term situation, because the sulcata and Leopards will be out growing this in a relatively short amount of time and even a Russian will be pressed to live as an adult in that small of an enclosure.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Sounds like a great place if built right for hatchlings, but as Jacqui said it won't be long till they are to big for the area.

As long as you have a plan for when they get bigger you should be fine.

With the lighting/heat needs will the area be enclosed, how warm is the room and what's the humidity like in the house. I use terrariums so I can control the humidity and temps for the hatchlings, plus they are easy to clean. A lot of folks with Tort tables use some sort of cover to control the environment.

NoahsEarth

5 Year Member
Yes they will live outside in the summer, I live in South Carolina, so they will only be inside for a little while...this is habitat is just for when they are still small, as they grow I will eventually have a full-time outdoor pen for them. I have an old wooden playhouse outside that looks like a minature cabin that I will outfit with heatlamps and such for warmth. I will probably have a room in the basement for them as well in the winter months....I have plenty of room to expand if need be.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

I also think for long term that your enclosure will be to small for several sulcata's or Leopards..

NoahsEarth

5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:
Sounds like a great place if built right for hatchlings, but as Jacqui said it won't be long till they are to big for the area.

As long as you have a plan for when they get bigger you should be fine.

With the lighting/heat needs will the area be enclosed, how warm is the room and what's the humidity like in the house. I use terrariums so I can control the humidity and temps for the hatchlings, plus they are easy to clean. A lot of folks with Tort tables use some sort of cover to control the environment.

Ambient room temps are around 75 humidity is about 60 percent all the time...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi NoahsEarth:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I think your idea is ok for a hatchling, but once it gets to be about a year old, something else would be in order.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I agree that size would be fine for a hatchling or baby of any species, but not an adult of any species. For your lighting/heating question, I think you'll need to find a way get those bulbs lower. You'll need a way to create a thermal gradient inside your enclosure, where one side is warmer and has a basking spot and the other side is cooler. This way the tortoise can move about the enclosure and keep its body temperature where it needs to be. If you just use one big bulb from that high up you'll end up heating the whole cage to one level.

Your pic did not come through. Try tinypic.com Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post. Its easy, free and you don't need an account or anything.

NoahsEarth

5 Year Member
Hey everybody thank you so much for your warm welcome to the forum I believe we will be great friends....since my last post I have been busy on this project...just as an FYI this is just an enclosure for around 4 to 6 months until we figure out the outdoor playpen for these guys and a permenant room in the basement. So here is my finished product I call "tortoise cove" I cant belive how well it tuned out. I still have a few things to purchase like a uv light and soaking dish I want to place a few small plants around the area as well but I am not for sure about that yet. However I love this thing I think it turned out great. The rocks that you see are not heat rocks the are just some broken pieces of landscape stone I had laying around the house but hey are directly under the heat lamp which is suspended about 16 - 18 inches above. I used alot of stuff I had here at the house. The substrate is a mixture of pine bark mini nuggets and cypress mulch...I have a 32x30 washer pan under the substrate to catch any urine and poop it is easy to take out to clean and replace and I also need some tortoises....lol.. so here it is I am open to criticism and compliments hopefully more of the latter... again thanks for all your advice I will be coming back for more I am sure of it. By the way I dont remember who asked but my name is Ken.

Without further adeu:

I present to you "TORTOISE COVE"

2w30p7c.jpg

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
im very new to this, so i cant offer anything but compliments and I think it looks great.

NoahsEarth

5 Year Member
Thanks LittlefootNCera...good enough for who its for...is what I always say....lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ken, that looks pretty cool.

I see a few things. One is I can't tell how high the lip is on the front of it. Some species, like Russians, are notoriously good climbers. You might have to add an overhanging lip of some sort to keep them in.

I don't like "colored" bulbs for day time. I would swap that out for a regular bulb or a mercury vapor bulb for daytime use. At night I like the ceramic heating elements on a thermostat.

Don't forget to add a shallow water bowl. I like terra cotta plant saucers.

Your rock hide is nice, but for a baby of any species, I would recommend a proper humid hide.

NoahsEarth

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice tom... i will definitely look into that stuff...each stone is set back from the previous course to ensure no jail breaks....lol...by a regular bulb you mean a regular heat lamp...it is interesting because everytime I look at it I get a different ideas and configs.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
NoahsEarth said:
Will the UV CFL be able to be hung this way as well?

Compact fluorescent bulbs have a very high potential to hurt your tortoises eyes and could blind them. It's happen to many peoples reptiles. long fluorescent tubes and MVB (mercury vapor bulbs ) are good to use. Make sure they have a dark, humid, warm place to get away from the lights, and sleep. :) I love your fireplace enclosure it's awesome !!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.