I was wrong about Elvis in AZ.

DevilDog5mom7

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I had quite the afternoon. i got the call from Heather saying she would take Elvis today. She lied. then she says she is closing his burrow (over my objections) and she would put out a heat lamp. I did not take her at her word. Don and I went to check on Elvis. Yes she had closed his burrow using cinder blocks. then she released him into the great yard not caring to check for things that could injure him. she also hosed him down so she lowered his body temp. The sun was already going down. she had put down some straw on cement and had placed a 30 watt light bulb for heat. I was so angry I could have spit nails. so the first order of business was to get Elvis back into his enclosure. Don went back to our house and got some fruit in a bright orange plastic bowl. That worked to get him back in his original enclosure. He ate while I removed the blocks on the entrance. By the way I am not afraid anymore! He tried to get inside but was blocked by cinder blocks she put inside his burrow. I was so angry by then I slid into the burrow, holding on to the top, to grab the cinder blocks with my feet. I pulled them close enough to get with my hands. don was keeping Elvis busy. I had to pull two out. I wish don could have taken a picture. I was covered in dirt and still so mad. Elvis went right in. He went deep I could not see him. I got home and had already left one message for the owners daughter. I then left another telling her I was filing a complaint with the sheriffs office. She was a tad upset with me. She left a message for me (we were still with Elvis) that said to not interfere Ooops too late for that. So unless it is very warm in the early morn Elvis will stay in his burrow. I will call animal cruelty . First thing in the am. I am sure they will try to remove Elvis. I am not going to let her. the woman is a dolt. the two birds, parrot/macaws are in trouble and need medical attention. I also reported them. Susan gave me the impression that the birds would be relocated. It has been 3 weeks since her mom went to the hospital and the birds are still there. One of them has an open wound on his chest. Susan told me "he does that all the time. That is normal for him." Sorry my french but my ***. I know birds do not pull out their own feathers for the fun of it. They are either in stress or have a medical condition. either way the birds are getting rescued too. I know I am not a lawyer but I have worked for several. I do know that Doris is the owner of the animals not her daughter. I do know that unless Doris is incapacitated and Susan has been appointed legal guardian then she can only go so far with the animals. I do know that Doris is in an assisted living home. Which means she has her wits about her. But all of that remains to be seen by a legal authority. Which I am not but I will inform the authorities as soon as I can.

I have decided that Elvis and now the birds are more important than Susan and Heather getting their panties in a wad. Again excuse my french.

Heather decided to lock him out of his home, after lowering his body temp, and then giving him a light bulb for warmth. Not while I live next door. Will keep everyone informed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While I admire you moxy, just be careful what you do on her property. It's good that you're watching out for the animals' welfare, but you could get yourself into trouble going on the property like you did. Dang, I wish I knew someone in Arizona who could help you.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry, I do not know the background but is she not willing to let Elvis go to a new home?

I may be able to help, or at least guide you to someone who can help, if it is possible as long as the owner is willing to let him go.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have let DDMom know I can take him in. It is up to the owners and what they work out. Just so every one knows he has a safe place to go if he needs it.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Wow, I don't know the backstory for all of this, but wow! Kudos to you for being the voice of those that can't speak. Hope they go to a better home, even if temporary, soon. I feel bad for Elvis :( I can't imagine being locked out of my home in the middle of winter.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Thank you so much for keeping us updated on Elvis's status.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know the back story of this either, but thank you for not being afraid to do something for these animals. Now, I'm not a lawyer either, but if I were you, anything else you do, that could be illegal, !ike trespassing, do not post about it. Then there's no proof of admitting to it. When its all said and done, and the animals are safe and there is no threat of legal action against you, you can then catch us up on what has gone on.
Stick with it and keep speaking for those who can't.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
DDMom, I am in Pa and I have been doing rescues for years of abused and unwanted tortoises. Most owners that abuse animals don't think they are doing anything wrong or can't see the abuse. Please keep up the good work and be safe.

Thank you for all you efforts

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
just a friendly reminder illegal activity of any type is not allowed to be discussed on this forum thank you