ID please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Looks like a type of geranium or pelargonium. See what others say.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's mallow. It's a good plant for tortoise food, however, some will eat it and some won't.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Cool, thank you. It is in random places in my back yard so with my new RF walking around out there I wanted to make sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine live on that stuff for a good 4-5 months every year. All of mine eat it. Some times of the year I'd say that is half of their diet.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I have that mallow growing in my yard also. Some of mine eat it some don't. Most won't if I just tear out the plant and throw the whole thing in front of them. But, if I pick the leaves off individually most will eat it then

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
I've found this plant flowering in my garden today, too. I've seen my Russia nibbling the leaves and I was hoping this plant being Mallow, but i was unsure til I saw the flower today! :) Tomorrow's meal sorted! :D
mallow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I haven't tried giving my RT any yet, I will have to try it today when I get home from work see if they enjoy it. My RF didn't seem interested in it at all.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Dar said:
I've found this plant flowering in my garden today, too. I've seen my Russia nibbling the leaves and I was hoping this plant being Mallow, but i was unsure til I saw the flower today! :) Tomorrow's meal sorted! :D

That is the mallow I'm familiar with. It looks like the OP plant has ivory colored flowers and acts like a low ground cover.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370893984.261588.jpg

These are what I call mallow. Boot and leg added for scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Cowboy_Ken: those are mallow malva sylvestris. One of my absolute favorite plants and our Russian seems to like it too, both the leaves and the flowers. What jjsull33 has is "common mallow" malva neglecta. It's identified as a weed here in Colorado.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Weed/mallow.htm

I'm sure it's still edible for Torts, but not nearly as pretty and more insidious than the one you have pictured, Ken.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
It spreads easily here. From one plant last year, we now have at least 15. I've found my sulcatas love it as well as my russians, pancakes and ero. Like yours, both flowers and leaves. This is what I have 1/4 lb of for broadcast planting in my pens.
So is the OP's mallow a hardy, sturdy, ground cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.