If not a Sulcata...

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
So I posted earlier that I live in Maryland and am looking to buy a Sulcata. The things I like about Sulcatas are the size, the personality, and just the species in general really interests me. So what I want to know is if there is a better tortoise to get for living in a place with cold winters and cold falls? If not a Sulcata what should I get?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
You will want to go smaller, but big personality. Russian should fit the bill nicely.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Are there any that are still bigger that might be better? I am not a huge fan of the really small tort species. I really like the big guys.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A sulcata, if you have the sources, like money, can live very happy in the cold, snowy states just as well as any other state. Just takes us more money and bigger sheds

Last edited:

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
A sulcata, IG you have the sources, like money, can live very happy in the cold, snowy states just as well as any other state. Just takes us more money and bigger sheds.
I am pretty set on getting one I just wanted to see if there were other options people had. When everyone tells me I need the money for it, how expensive is it really in the winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am pretty set on getting one I just wanted to see if there were other options people had. When everyone tells me I need the money for it, how expensive is it really in the winter.

As a baby not much, you will keep it in the house for the two years most likely. As a larger tort, that depends on how you heat it and how expensive your electric is in your area. My electric bill is approx. $286.00 in the winter. That's house and tort shed. That's probably about 186.00 give or take a little over my normal bill without a tort shed and all the lights. I live in Chicago Illinois.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Aldabras get much bigger than sulcatas, but they are very exspensive, around 1800$ or so.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Leopards get big, but not as big as sulcatas.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a tortoise shed with two heated boxes in it and a ac unit set on 80 so it doesn't get any warmer that that . Inside the boxes I have small heaters and humidifiers on thermostats . It cost around 100.00 $ bucks a month to run the shed . Then I have another box for two 70 lbs sulcatas it runs another 40.00 $ to heat give or take . Here is what you'll get in 21/22 months of good care .

Attachments

• 1425516169487.jpg
    1425516169487.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1425516181396.jpg
    1425516181396.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 23