sulcata in ontario canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
any one in southern ontario with a sulcata just wondering how you would house it in the winter(canada=bad and cold winters) looking into one but not quite sure whats your opinion?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not own sulcatas if I didn't live somewhere where they can live outside year round. It can be done, and I'm not knocking anyone who does it, I'm just saying that it would be too much work and expense for me personally.

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
You will need a large enclosure, mine is in the basement. It needs a large high wattage UV light as well as the basking light. The enclosure needs to be at least 8 x 10 for an adult. It is a lot of work to keep it clean and humid enough. I did it for my friend's sulcata and his personality made it all worthwhile!

Oh, yeah. And I wouldn't have more than one. It is a lot of work for just the one.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
I live in New England and we have long cold winters ... Ive kept a sully for 9 years.... it is a lot of work and you have to be dedicated.... he does thrive quite well, would he be a little bit better off in floridhe best set up I have ever seen in the north east and a or a warm climate year round....ya probably, i would be nieve to say not, but mine has the best set up i have ever seen in the northeast and far better than a lot of keepers from the south.... you just have to commit to giving the animal the home he/she deserves.........

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is the reason why I don't have a sulcatta. I love them but I don't think it's fair for it to be inside all winter. Smaller species is my only choices unfortunately!

Status
Not open for further replies.