Im looking for a basking light or a uvb light

RyanW81969

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee
My 2 month leopard tortoise needs a uvb or a basking light and I’m not sure what to get. I have a heat emitter and using a incandescent light right now and thinking about just getting a uvb light. I need help thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 2 month leopard tortoise needs a uvb or a basking light and I’m not sure what to get. I have a heat emitter and using a incandescent light right now and thinking about just getting a uvb light. I need help thanks
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day ad night for tropical spe cies.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.

RyanW81969

Menifee
IMG_1523400274.678697.jpg got this light and my tort has been eating and getting strong so I am VERY happy!! Thank you everyone for helping me on this 3 month journey!! IMG_1523400333.058395.jpg