Status
Not open for further replies.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
BigD9 said:
tortadise said:
At night a ceramic heat emitter is a good source for nightime heat. The red, blue, or white bulbs, keep them awake and can stress them out because they are not getting a natural day and night time affect. Heat pads do work, but will not heat the ambient temperature and cause respiratory infections if the ambient temperature is cool and the ground temperature is warm. I would go with a CHE during night and a mercury vapor bulb during the day or put him on the balcony for natural sun during the day. In a predator proof enclosure of course.

Alright thank you! :)
I already brought a light bulb for the day time off of Ebay which should be here anyday. Its the UVA Basking Spot Lamp Bulb, is that okay?! && usually during the day if its not too cold ill put him outside until it gets cold out all the time then ill have to leave him inside.

You will need a UVA/UVB light.. either a mercury vapor bulb or those that come in tubes, unless they are getting sun exposure daily.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Did I read that you are moving in to an apartment? If so I don't think a sully is a good choice. They DO grow rather fast and need a lot of space. Unless you already have a home with a yard I think you would be getting in over your head.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
If you are interested, I can set you up with a rescued sulcata when you get to Florida. There are a lots and lots of small and large ones out there that need good homes. There is a small adoption fee. You can PM me for details.

Also, if you get one now and bring it with you to FL, you might need to apply for a permit. "Importing" sulcatas, leos, and hingebacks into Florida is illegal without a permit and a certificate of health from a vet to verify that it is free of ectoparasites. BUT, I have no idea if by "import" they mean form another country, or from out-of-state. At first I thought it was out-of-state, but that doesn't really make sense... Why would other tortoise species be exempt? Does anyone know?

OK, I just called the FWC. The permit is required for ANY sulcata, leo, hingeback imported into Florida, even if it's just from out-of-state. I get why they are concerned about ectoparasites, given the status of the gopher tortoise, but I don't understand why other tort species are exempt from the permit... ???

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
antonio650 said:
i have a sulcata that i am willing to ship. i will give you him for a cheap price. he is missing a toenails. and his beak is deformed but he is still healthy. all u need to do is chop his food up for him

I am sorry that you've decided that you need to get rid of him- I was really 'pulling' for you two.

But, maybe it's for the best . . . It doesn't sound like a relatively new sulcata owner would be in 'his' best interest, though. :(

JMHO

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Maybe it's because FWC is as slow as a turtle haha. No, really, I'm with you...sometimes the things states do really doesn't make any sense at all.

OK, I just called the FWC. The permit is required for ANY sulcata, leo, hingeback imported into Florida, even if it's just from out-of-state. I get why they are concerned about ectoparasites, given the status of the gopher tortoise, but I don't understand why other tort species are exempt from the permit... ???
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.