Inactive Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Could you post some pictures of the fake plants to give me an idea of how to shape them? And are they from the dollar tree or a dollar store? And thank you so much for all of your help!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I decided just to get the pony tail palm. I got it from wal mart. I'm repotting it in new soil. Do i have to wait to put it in? Or just sray it down with water or something?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'll share pics of my fake plants, soon.
You can get them anywhere from Michaels craft store to a 99cent type store. I like getting them for the cheaper prices ;)

On the ponytail palm you'll get different opinions. Some say a wash and re planting is fine. Others wait up to a year before letting their tort have access. IMO with a ponytail palm in a Russian pen I'd just wash and re plant. He won't eat it like the aloe plant. Doubt he will eat it at all.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Well, I got the smallest they had and it just barely fits ImageUploadedByTortForum1371320551.887327.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1371320578.204063.jpg
She takes little nibbles on it every now and then but that's about it. Thank you!

Sorry for bothering again, but I noticed this one says "ponytail Guatemale" is it different from a ponytail palm?

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
How is your tort liking these changes?
How are you?

I haven't been home to post "fake plant" pics on my computer for you yet

Heather

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
I've had the best of luck with Dracaena plants. I've purchased small ones from Walmart and petco. they are a perfect size for indoor enclosures and as long as you water them, they thrive. in my enclosure, at least. they look like this
Screenshot_2013-06-15-23-07-54-1_zps794f1713.png
also maybe a small piece of wood to burrow under or hide behind :)

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Team Gomberg said:
How is your tort liking these changes?
How are you?

I haven't been home to post "fake plant" pics on my computer for you yet

Heather

She has been regularly waking up at around noon and walks around all day! As soon as I put the ponytail palm in, she walked around it, hid under it just like you should she would. She uses her basking platform, and I like the walkways. I put little bits of food on different slates so she has to search for it. Your advice was great!

stinax182 said:
I've had the best of luck with Dracaena plants. I've purchased small ones from Walmart and petco. they are a perfect size for indoor enclosures and as long as you water them, they thrive. in my enclosure, at least. they look like this
Screenshot_2013-06-15-23-07-54-1_zps794f1713.png
also maybe a small piece of wood to burrow under or hide behind :)

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

I saw this at walmart today but I wasn't sure if it was safe. But I still want to add one more plant so I guess that'll be the one :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
hunterk997 said:
Could you post some pictures of the fake plants to give me an idea of how to shape them? And are they from the dollar tree or a dollar store? And thank you so much for all of your help!

Finally got on a computer to show you some pictures..

I purchased all the fake plants from the Dollar Tree store. But they are available at other places, too.

This first picture shows 3 of them that I used to decorate a display box. You can see the long stem down the side of the box (in this case I used hot glue to hold it) and the leaves are fanned out at the top.
hva3b8.jpg

In this next side shot picture you can see I use some of these same plants but with the long stem stuck down into the dirt. (This is an older picture of my indoor enclosure from when my leopard was smaller) Some of the plants are up against the sides with the leaves bent over like a canopy and some are cut into smaller plants and in the middle of the enclosure.
s15g7r.jpg

This is a current picture of my leopard's indoor basking rock. Again, you see the same plants stuck into the dirt along the wall with the leaves bent over.
b3v1qb.jpg

Hope this helps.
I don't use live plants indoors for 2 reasons:
1- I don't have artificial UV lighting so they don't live very long
2- I like the price of the fake ones ;)

Sometimes I'll use a mixture of both but the live never last long when I do.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Okay. Thanks, if the ponytail palm doesn't work I will definitely be using the fake plants.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Status
Not open for further replies.