Incredibly Tiny White Worm In Stool

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I was cleaning up after my Hermann's tortoise tonight and was horrified to find three or four of these tiny worms on the exterior of her feces. I removed the stool from her enclosure and broke it apart a little on a paper plate with some medical scissors. I did not find any more inside the stool, thank goodness. The worms I found almost look like the small white worms you sometimes see outside gardening.

I am absolutely distraught. I have no idea how my tortoise could have gotten parasites. She was captive bred from a reputable breeder and has never been in contact with another tortoise since I got her as a hatchling. What should I do? I can't imagine this is a heavy infection because she is acting completely normal with a healthy appetite and solid stools. She has never acted sick in the entire time I've had her (3 years).

I've read online about people treating their tortoises for internal worms using the drug Panacur, which is sold as a paste (usually for equines) containing 10% Fenbendazole. Would it be safe to give her a miniscule dose (0.1mL per 100 grams)? Other people say it's normal for a tortoise to have a small number of worms, and that the possible side-effects of treatment outweigh the benefit. What should I do?

I attached a photo of the worm in question.

20161213_200359_001.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Before treating with pancur you need to identify what kind of worm it is. I'd recommend heading to the vet with a fecal sample and letting them ID it for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and then the vet can give you the correct dosage for your size tortoise using the 10% de-wormer.

(Note to everyone who wants to post dosages: Please don't post dosages!!! De-wormers come in different strengths and many, many people, not just members, read the forum. Each person should get the dosage from their vet to make sure they don't poison their animal)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
I just emailed a friend of mine inquiring about the exotics vet she uses for her ball python. Hopefully I will simply be able to drop off a stool sample and get some medication without having to bring my tortoise in for a check-up. Since she's acting so healthy I would hate for her to be exposed to something there that would actually cause her severe problems.
I realize after calming down a bit that rushing out and buying some dewormer is never the smartest thing to do. I know I would never forgive myself if I gave my tortoise a fatal dose of an over-the-counter medicine. Clearly she is not experiencing any symptoms from this infection so I just need to tell myself that she will be fine waiting a bit until I can find a good vet.
Thank you for your responses.

Sira-oreo

Cardiff
I was cleaning up after my Hermann's tortoise tonight and was horrified to find three or four of these tiny worms on the exterior of her feces. I removed the stool from her enclosure and broke it apart a little on a paper plate with some medical scissors. I did not find any more inside the stool, thank goodness. The worms I found almost look like the small white worms you sometimes see outside gardening.

I am absolutely distraught. I have no idea how my tortoise could have gotten parasites. She was captive bred from a reputable breeder and has never been in contact with another tortoise since I got her as a hatchling. What should I do? I can't imagine this is a heavy infection because she is acting completely normal with a healthy appetite and solid stools. She has never acted sick in the entire time I've had her (3 years).

I've read online about people treating their tortoises for internal worms using the drug Panacur, which is sold as a paste (usually for equines) containing 10% Fenbendazole. Would it be safe to give her a miniscule dose (0.1mL per 100 grams)? Other people say it's normal for a tortoise to have a small number of worms, and that the possible side-effects of treatment outweigh the benefit. What should I do?

I attached a photo of the worm in question.

View attachment 194680
Hi can I ask what happened afterwards did u go vet and did he give u anything?