indonesia

Garden brain

Location (City and/or State)
indonesia
hello, my name is garden brain, actually this is not a real name but a stage name. i have two turtles sulcata lexa and alexa, both females with the age of three years (i keep them since 2021) and recently 2024 i keep a baby indian star tortoise.
8BF1AAB4-2BDA-4D71-901A-01764AA3CFEE.jpeghopefully tortoise owners in this world and in the forum are always happy with your child. warm greetings from east java, indonesia.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Just to check, your two sulcatas aren’t housed as a pair are they? Tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

Thought it best to give you a heads up!🐢💚

Garden brain

indonesia
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Just to check, your two sulcatas aren’t housed as a pair are they? Tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

Thought it best to give you a heads up!🐢💚
Hi, my friend.
I only kept them in one cage for about 2 years (indoor cage). after that I released them in a separate cage (outdoor cage). in my opinion so far if they are together there is still no indication of harm, it's just that sometimes they are busy with my potted plants.

as for their problems together or not together with their natural behavior, it can all be overcome by keepers, of course I also always pay attention to them,

regards
gardenbrain
IMG_5456.jpeg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi, my friend.
I only kept them in one cage for about 2 years (indoor cage). after that I released them in a separate cage (outdoor cage). in my opinion so far if they are together there is still no indication of harm, it's just that sometimes they are busy with my potted plants.

as for their problems together or not together with their natural behavior, it can all be overcome by keepers, of course I also always pay attention to them,

regards
gardenbrain
View attachment 380217
I will say it can be very difficult to pick up on stress and bullying behaviours in tortoises, the sight of the other tortoise is enough to stress them in a pair dynamic, unfortunately I’m seeing one seems to have stunted the other which is very common in pairs(notice how one is significantly smaller despite being the same age?) I’d get a visual barrier between them and keep them both separate

This might handy to read through😊

Garden brain

indonesia
I will say it can be very difficult to pick up on stress and bullying behaviours in tortoises, the sight of the other tortoise is enough to stress them in a pair dynamic, unfortunately I’m seeing one seems to have stunted the other which is very common in pairs(notice how one is significantly smaller despite being the same age?) I’d get a visual barrier between them and keep them both separate

[URL unfurl="true"https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/common-keeping-errors.217956/[/URL]

Do different broods have the same growth?

my Friend, I'm not an expert but things related to the classification of growth differences may not only be from mental factors.

Do different parents have the same growth?

Friends, I am not an expert but things related to the classification of growth differences may not only be from mental factors. 🫡

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Do different broods have the same growth?

my Friend, I'm not an expert but things related to the classification of growth differences may not only be from mental factors.

Do different parents have the same growth?

Friends, I am not an expert but things related to the classification of growth differences may not only be from mental factors. 🫡
They all do have different growth rates absolutely, but if you’ve had these two from hatchlings, starting the same size, age, upbringing etc, then this is likely down to stunting.

Were they clutch mates?