Indoor Decor

Squirteal

Location (City and/or State)
UK
So I really need to make my little guys enclosure more interesting especially since he turns 1 on Wednesday!!

So far his home only really consists of a habba hut, food and water bowls and a few decorative rocks that i picked up in France.

I did have some small succulents in there but he would just devour them almost instantly... I was thinking about putting fake plants in there but I don't want to risk him trying to eat them and getting ill!

What would you suggest?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I use fake plants in my enclosures. The babies smelled them and halfway tried to take a bite but that was it. They like to hide under them.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have live plants- Spider is easiest to grow- that he will trim a little and I am putting pansies in now for him to graze on

Squirteal

UK
I have live plants- Spider is easiest to grow- that he will trim a little and I am putting pansies in now for him to graze on
A spider plant actually seems like a good idea! I think it would go well in his enclosure.. do you think it'd be best to keep it away from his basking area? Would it die under there? Or would it be a good idea to put it there as shade? he does have his hut under his light.

Squirteal

UK
I use fake plants in my enclosures. The babies smelled them and halfway tried to take a bite but that was it. They like to hide under them.
I'm glad they work for your tortoises! I've been hearing mixed things, I read this morning that you should stay away from fake plants because some tortoises will eat them, I guess you will never know until you try! I might have a go :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great update. You now have to work on better substrate (without the perlite bits). Orchid bark or coco or cypress mulch all provide better substrate.

Your torty will soon be asking for more plants! More plants!

Squirteal

UK
Great update. You now have to work on better substrate (without the perlite bits). Orchid bark or coco or cypress mulch all provide better substrate.

Your torty will soon be asking for more plants! More plants!
Whats wrong with the substrate? It's called Tortoise Terrain?