indoor enclosure for 3 year old red foot

Gizzie

I was just given a three year old red foot. I have read a lot on this website, so I feel like I have some knowledge. I live in South Dakota and so it is not ideal weather for a red foot. I want to have my husband build an enclosure over Christmas break, but I am not sure what all I need to consider when having him build the enclosure. Right now the spot I have is a 6" for 3 1/2 " place to put the enclosure, so I am going to start with one that size. I figured that I need a place for a heat lamp and UVB light, but I didn't know if I need a mister or florescent lamp. Will the UVB light keep the plants alive? I know I should have a basking area of 95 degrees, an area where the temp is around 80 degrees and a damp area. What are your recommendations as far as heat pads, misters, and any other advice. I want to make sure that we design it with the end product in mind as far as having holes for lamps, etc. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rome, OH
Gizzie said:
I was just given a three year old red foot. I have read a lot on this website, so I feel like I have some knowledge. I live in South Dakota and so it is not ideal weather for a red foot. I want to have my husband build an enclosure over Christmas break, but I am not sure what all I need to consider when having him build the enclosure. Right now the spot I have is a 6" for 3 1/2 " place to put the enclosure, so I am going to start with one that size. I figured that I need a place for a heat lamp and UVB light, but I didn't know if I need a mister or florescent lamp. Will the UVB light keep the plants alive? I know I should have a basking area of 95 degrees, an area where the temp is around 80 degrees and a damp area. What are your recommendations as far as heat pads, misters, and any other advice. I want to make sure that we design it with the end product in mind as far as having holes for lamps, etc. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hi Gizzie! I don't usually give advice on here because there are soooo many members more qualified but I couldn't resist this time. I have 2 redfoots and the best advice I can give is build a closed chamber! I spent quite some time trying to create a humid habitat by way of a tort table, it was frustrating and unsuccessful. I finally built a closed chamber and its been very easy to maintain. I use a reptile heating rope on one side of the enclosure, buried under substrate. I pour water in the corner as needed to keep humidity up. I do still spray the tortoises and substrate each morning. I hang my lights from hooks attached to 2x4's on the enclosure ceiling. I currently have a CHE & a MVB to maintain temps. I also have 1 regular light bulb just for light. There are a lot of enclosure threads on here you can read through to get more ideas. I hope this helps :)

Gizzie

Thanks for your help. I have a few questions. If I am building a 6" by 3 1/2 ' enclosure, what is the length of heat rope I need? Can I get by with a 12" or should I go a larger one? Also, do a need to buy a thermostat for the heat rope? I have a heat gun, so I could test it and see if it gets too hot. When you pour water in the corner, is it the end that has the heat rope? Do you think I need heat rope if I have a MVB and CHE?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gizzie, and welcome to the forum!

In your first post you say 6 inches by 3.5 inches, then in the next post you say 6 inches by 3.5 feet. At any rate. six inches isn't anywhere near wide enough for a full grown redfooted tortoises. Now a habitat six feet by three and a half feet is a great size.

I can't help you with the rope, as I'm not familiar with it.

I have many, many plants in pots that I have to bring in over the winter due to cold weather. I put most of them in the greenhouse, but a few go into the tort tables. They usually will stay alive all winter under the lights. It's not the ideal type of lighting for plants, but it keeps them alive over the winter.

I've started using the tube-type UVB fluorescent bulbs with a regular 100watt incandescent bulb for heat. Along with that I have a seedling heat mat under the substrate.

Gizzie

Sorry, for the typo. The enclosure is 6 foot by 3 1/2 foot. I put the inch symbol instead of the foot symbol. On the second post I just rounded so I didn't have to mess with the 1/2 symbol.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I assume you meant a 12 foot heat rope? I really don't remember exactly what size mine is to compare. I use a thermostat with the rope in the summer but I don't need one in the winter. I measured the area of enclosure and figured out how many rows of rope I needed to cover that area. That should give u a good estimate on your rope size. I do pour the water on the side with the rope. I use a CHE and MVB and it maintains my temps well. U will have to see what works for you. I would start with rope and MVB. If you need more heat you can always add a CHE.

mikeh

5 Year Member
For 6x3 enclosure you want 80-100watt heat rope. FYI, first 6' of any heat rope are not heated. 12' heat rope sounds like 25Watt, only 6' are heated. This is will not do anything in 6x3 enclosure. Heat ropes do not generate high temperature so you want good amount of length, sneaked under couple inches of substrate or on the side walls.

Question is what is the heat cords function. Night time heat? Supplemental heat? The only source of heat?

Another question would be your set up. Is this an open table or closed chamber? This makes a big difference in how the heat cord can be effectively utilized.

Gizzie

Thanks for everyone reply's as they are very helpful. The function of the heat cords would be supplemental heat and it will be a closed chamber. Do you think I would need them with a 100 watt CHE and a 125 watt Mercury Vapor Bulb? I am temped to try just the bulbs once I get the enclosure built and check the temps and then add heat ropes if needed, but it would be a lot easier to add the heat ropes before I get all the substrate down.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
You can always try just the bulbs and regulate the heat before you put in substrate just in case u decide to add a rope.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: indoor enclosure for 3 year old red foot

Gizzie said:
Thanks for everyone reply's as they are very helpful. The function of the heat cords would be supplemental heat and it will be a closed chamber. Do you think I would need them with a 100 watt CHE and a 125 watt Mercury Vapor Bulb? I am temped to try just the bulbs once I get the enclosure built and check the temps and then add heat ropes if needed, but it would be a lot easier to add the heat ropes before I get all the substrate down.

There are more factors to take into account. Will the MVB and CHE be completely inside or sit on top of the enclosure? How tall is the enclosure?
Personally I would skip the CHE all together and use heat cables only, for night time heat.