Interesting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I am wondering if the fir and sphagnum peat moss is ok for redfoots. After doing research into substrates for Gretta I found it would work well because it helps hold in moisture. I also put extra sphagnum moss in her house for her to hide in, she loves it. =) However,someone on the other, general tortoise forum that I am a member of said they have never heard of using this mix with RF's. What do you think??? The last thing I want to do is make my baby Gretta sick...

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I think you just need to be careful of what type of fir you are using. For example, cyprus bark is a fir but is considered acceptable - cedar is definitely not... I think peat moss is okay though. You can do a search on this forum for similar threads to answer your question.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just use the moss for Dale. He loves it and it does hold the humidity very well. :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If the peat has vermiculite or pearlite in it do not use it. I do not know this mixture but Orchid bark and cypress are the only two I would use that has fir in it. Both have been used by others on the site and there has been no problems. Pine or fir can give off a toxic fume that can be bad or even deadly to your tort. I personally like and used the Moss and it worked well.

Shalon

5 Year Member
I am having a problem keeping the humidity up using the moss. I'm not sure if I'm not getting it wet enough or what the deal is. It dries out really fast.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I just read the bag and it says the ingredients are aged douglas fir and sphagnum peat moss....?

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yes, tortoisenerd, I was able to find sphagnum moss by itself, in fact, we just started carrying it at work!!! I work at Petsmart. Is if ok to use just sphagnum moss as her substrate? Cuz she really likes to hide in it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes some people use just that alone, or they make mixes of other substrates (like potting soil, coconut coir, Cyprus Mulch, etc) with the moss on top. That's great you found it. You may be able to find an even better deal online or at garden stores to buy a large quantity.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've struggled to keep long-fibered sphagnum moss (Mosser Lee stuff) at the right dampness here in Omaha. It is either too dry or too wet (which causes a plastron rot). The problem with telling you a 'perfect' substrate is that it depends on your situation, humidity, etc.

Adding absorbent organic material, like non-oily shredded wood or bark, can help. Soak it then let it drain well to 'charge it'. Another thing to try is to put something kind of 'chunky' at the bottom and pour water in the habitat so it wicks/evaporates upwards.

Some sand in the mix can help as well- it helps prevent clumping, and helps excess water drain, while helping it percolate up through the soil too.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
I use just sphagnum moss for Stagger Lee.
How I keep it from getting too wet or too dry is, every morning I turn his moss so that the wetter stuff gets placed up top where it'll dry out better, and the drier stuff gets pushed towards the bottom where it'll get wetter by mixing with the wetter stuff.

I have not had issues with any rot yet.
I mist Stagger several times a day, though. I mist the sides of his enclosure and his carapace several times a day.
So far, he seems well hydrated with no dry skin issues.
My only issue with the sphag moss is, little pieces get stuck on him all over the place, but it's cute.
Very cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.