Introducing my baby redfoot T Rex

Status
Not open for further replies.

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
I brought my little T Rex home at the beginning of July! I purchased him/her from the couple who run tortoise supply when they were at a reptile expo in Cali. I am still pretty new to the whole tortoise thing, but I have wanted one for awhile since my family had a desert tortoise when I was a little girl. This forum seems very useful and I hope to learn plenty of ideas to keep my little redfoot healthy and happy! :D

Here are a few pictures from when he was about an 1.5" he is now 3"

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hello and welcome. Your T Rex looks beautiful and he looks well raised. Very nice :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi immayo, and welcome to the Forum!

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

My little guy is in the process of getting some of his shell fungus healed. Thanks to browsing this forum yesterday I realized that he had it. I knew the discoloration was from water soaking into his shell but I didn't realize it could be something harmful. He had his second treatment today and is already looking a little better! Hopefully he is back to normal soon because I took out his substrate and replaced it with paper towels for now (He doesn't seem to enjoy this). Normally he is always hiding in his substrate, but I left his log and a bit of dry sphagnum moss for him to hide in. I will most likely add more pics when he is all healed up!! :tort:

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Just took a couple of quick cell phone shots of him today since he's doubled in size since the other ones! :tort:

img20121209184449.jpg

img20121209184616.jpg

Brooksie

5 Year Member
Austin, TX
He is super cute! I can definitely see how one can become addicted to owning torts! I'm already planning a big outdoor enclosure for Elvis but really want to build two enclosures so I can get a second species. Good luck with your little one!

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Brooksie said:
I can definitely see how one can become addicted to owning torts!

I know! I've only had mine for about 5 months and I already want another! haha

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Took some more pics today! He seems extra happy now that his shell rot has cleared up and I changed his substrate to orchid bark.

img20121213172023.jpg

img20121213131826.jpg

Don't know if anyone is able to sex him yet but I am hoping he ends up being a boy!
img20121213172106.jpg

Logan J

5 Year Member
He has a pretty long tail may be a male just check on the curve of his plastron/bottom of stomach.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Just curious... I have been reading about the CHE for heating but living in AZ I am not sure if I need one or not. I have T Rex in my bedroom and I turn his mercury vapor lamp off at night. His enclosure temps only seem to drop into the high 70s at night, is this fine or should I invest in a CHE as well?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Here's a photo of his enclosure! It has a slide on top with a screen that I covered with plexiglass to hold moisture in. I am still thinking of the CHE and possibly hooking up a humidifier of some sort. I almost bought the ZooMed one last night because Petco is having a huge online sale but all the reviews of it breaking has kind of turned me off...

Anyway, here's the pic:

61012_10200134094136682_1338550677_n.jpg

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
::UPDATE::
Bought my little guy a new dual lamp holder and a ceramic bulb for the 2nd outlet. This is for sure keeping the temperatures at good range now! (92hot/84mid/82cold)
Only problem I have now is keeping the humidity up, I spray his tank a couple times a day but it still doesn't seem to get higher than 60%. Looks like I'll be investing in a humidifier soon!!

(comments/questions/criticisms welcome... it looks like most people on this forum post new threads for EVERYTHING. But I am used to car forums where you just build on your personal thread. Guess I will see if anyone responds! haha o_O)

Status
Not open for further replies.