Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarvis_P

5 Year Member
Hello my name is Jarvis Pennington and I live in southwest va. I am new to tortoise and hoping to find one good for a beginner. I have searched and found that I like Russian tortoises. Any info for them or any other tortoise would be helpful.:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jarvis, and welcome to the forum!

Russian tortoises are good beginner tortoises. A few things to keep in mind: Russian tortoises like to roam. If kept in a small indoor habitat they will drive you crazy trying to climb their walls and escape. They need a big area. Russian tortoises are good climbers and great diggers.

Here's a good care sheet for your perusal:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Jarvis_P

5 Year Member
How many times a day do Russian tortoises need to bask and is there any small tortoises that do not need to bask?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Every turtle and tortoise will need to bask.
Is that something you are unable to provide?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Jarvis_P

5 Year Member
No I can provide it but I thought it would be expensive to have a light on for 12 hours a day suing winter.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
It's not that much, for all your lights it'll probably be around 20 dollars a month

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

Jarvis_P

5 Year Member
Ok thanks would a Russian tortoise be the best for me? I am a beginner

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hello Jarvis Welcome to TFO! If you really want a beginner tortoise then a Russian is a good one to choose. However, if you are already feeling that upkeep may be too expensive then perhaps you should reconsider getting one right now. If you are able to keep it in an outside enclosure then it will not need expensive UV lighting, nor would it cost any electricity. But building enclosures is not at all cheap, and Russians are excellent little escape artists so it will need to be very secure. And while they are a very tough species then do occasionally get sick and need the vet. Also really not cheap. I appreciate that you are doing your research before getting a tort and I hope I have offered you some good things to think about. When you are ready, your tortoise will be there.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also a tort is a pet for life... they live for 50 years plus easily, so you really do need to think ahead when planning to own one

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Ever thought about Greek torts? I love mine w/ all my heart and they are AWESOME!

JoesMum said:
Also a tort is a pet for life... they live for 50 years plus easily, so you really do need to think ahead when planning to own one

I agree. Be ready to love them and care for them... FOREVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.