Is a heat lamp that gives off UVA safe for tortoises?

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
They are fine to use together. That's a pretty common setup.

Haven't seen any reports on harmful UVA, though. Can you post a link, if you don't mind? Excessive IR-A (like in deep heat projectors) is not good because of drying effect on new keratine growth

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
UVA is not only NOT harmful, but indeed needed and beneficial to tortoises. It is the key trigger to cicadian rhythms and circannual cycles. It is also key to the vision of tortoises as they have cones in their eyes that see colors we cannot - well into the UVA spectrum. For overall health and well being, I am always certain to have UVA lighting in my enclosures.

The UVB fluorescent bulbs we use actually give off more UVA than UVB. About 10% UVB, 30% UVA and 60% light in the visible spectrum we see. This is a great balance if we also add more visible light as the 60% visible light they give off is too dim for effectively lighting an enclosure by itself. Almost everyone I see does not provide enough light in a tortoise enclosure! You want lots of light and then plant cover to create gradients.

The basking light you are referencing is also good especially when you are limiting the time you have the UVB light on in the enclosure. Many folks tend to have the UVB light on only 3-4 hours midday. That is fine for UVB exposure, but it then limits the UVA exposure way too much without another source of UVA.

TonySoprano

Massachusetts
I had read some old threads on here that implied there wasn’t enough info on uva. Good to know it’s fine. Thanks for the help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The UBA and UVB might not be the issue here. Bulb type might be.
Is the bulb a MVB type? ( mercury vapor bulb)
That type of bulb is not widely recommended because of the way a lot of them broadcasts the UVA and UVB and the way that they distribute heat inconsistently. Causing shell desication.
Was it sold as a 3-in-1 bulb? UVA, UVB and heat?
I briefly used those over my Chameleon cages and they did nothing well.
They burned plants with temperature fluctuation and I got very inconsistent UVB readings from bulb to bulb using my meter. I removed them and placed them out in my garage. Hoping I can re purpose them on another project.....Mostly because they cost about $300 for 6.

Last edited:

TonySoprano

Massachusetts
The UBA and UVB might not be the issue here. Bulb type might be.
Is the bulb a MVB type? ( mercury vapor bulb)
That type of bulb is not widely recommended because of the way a lot of them broadcasts the UVA and UVB and the way that they distribute heat inconsistently. Causing shell desication.
Was it sold as a 3-in-1 bulb? UVA, UVB and heat?
I briefly used those over my Chameleon cages and they did nothing well.
They burned plants with temperature fluctuation and I got very inconsistent UVB readings from bulb to bulb using my meter. I removed them and placed them out in my garage. Hoping I can re purpose them on another project.....Mostly because they cost about $300 for 6.
No this is just a heat lamp with uva light no uvb