Is it ok to have your Greek tortoise in the basement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r5az

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saint Paul,MN
My daughter keeps her tortoise in the basement. Is that ok? Also the pet store only told us to but one lightbulb and it seems that you need 2 different kinds. Our tortoise wont eat that much lately and is sluggish so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Thanks

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Can you post pics of your tortoise? You can keep a tortoise in a basement but you would need to meet all the requirements to do so. What substrate are you using? What lightbulb are you using? What are the temps at? What is the humidity at? Tortoises are generally better off outside so can you make an outside enclosure? What state are you located in? What does your tortoises diet consist of? What are you keeping him/her in?

r5az

5 Year Member
Saint Paul,MN
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Can you post pics of your tortoise? You can keep a tortoise in a basement but you would need to meet all the requirements to do so. What substrate are you using? What lightbulb are you using? What are the temps at? What is the humidity at? Tortoises are generally better off outside so can you make an outside enclosure? What state are you located in? What does your tortoises diet consist of? What are you keeping him/her in?

We have it in a 30 gal rubber maid tub with fir bark bedding. I feed it collard greens,spring mix,cactus pads,dandeloion weeds and sometimes we give it rasberries maybe once a month. We bought a supplement called reptocal with calcium and vitamin d3. We live in minnesota and it can really only get outside in summer,fall time. When we went to petco they said we just needed the one bulb but after looking on here its seems like we need two kinds. as far as the temps I don't know and I really don't know how to check that. I bought this as a pet for my daughter and now I feel really bad because I feel like I didn't research it enough. There is a local reptile store that I found and I'm going to go there this weekend I think they would be a better place then Petco.

Attachments

• attachment (2).jpg
    attachment (2).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 42
  • attachment (1).jpg
    attachment (1).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 47

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As long as your basement isn't damp (lower than 65% humidity) and the overall temperature does not drop below 55 degrees you should be able to keep your tortoise in an enclosure with lighting that will produce the necessary daytime heat in the mi 70's to very low 80's. Your tortoise will also need a basking area that reaches somewhere around 95-105 degrees. As well as a source of UVB light for proper digestion and growth.

r5az

5 Year Member
Saint Paul,MN
GBtortoises said:
As long as your basement isn't damp (lower than 65% humidity) and the overall temperature does not drop below 55 degrees you should be able to keep your tortoise in an enclosure with lighting that will produce the necessary daytime heat in the mi 70's to very low 80's. Your tortoise will also need a basking area that reaches somewhere around 95-105 degrees. As well as a source of UVB light for proper digestion and growth.

Ok Thanks. I think I have the uvb light and not the basking one so i will go get that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You should buy a temperature gun - it's more accurate than a thermometer. They are easily available online from Amazon.

If temperatures are too low... And especially if there's no basking heat, your tort will be inactive.

You are trying to kid this animal that it is outside on a warm sunny day with the lighting and heating! Use a timer to regulate when it goes on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.