Is it okay to leave my redfoot's out??

Status
Not open for further replies.

1208jen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Niskayuna, NY
Hi,

My two cherry head redfoots are out in their pen enjoying the sun. They have an enclosed pen with a sheltered area. It is going to be a low of 68 degrees tonight and then up into the 80's tomorrow.

Do you think it is okay to leave them out overnight? This is my first time considering this and I am a little nervous. One is 5 inchs and the other is 3 inches.

Thank you,

Jenny

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm in NY too and have the same problem. My friend who is a breeder told me to still bring them in at night, so I still haven't left them out yet, although I leave them out all day. Poor things. It's very hard for them IMHO. My big one waits for me every AM now expecting to go out and when she has to come in I feel so bad for her.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I personally would't do it at 68 degrees.

1208jen

5 Year Member
Niskayuna, NY
Hmm, now I'm even more confused LOL. I think that bringing them in and out can be confusing for them, and I might try leaving them out tonight. They do have a sheltered area to stay away from the wind, although I don't think it is suppose to be windy tonight. I'll give you an update in the morning!!

Oh gosh....I just looked at the forecast again and now they are forecasting storms. Don't worry my little torts will be coming in tonight after all :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
At their current size, I vote bring them in at night. I have to keep reminding myself that it's May, despite the unseasonably warm weather, and with their surface area to volume ratios, it may not be great to subject them to lows of 60ish. Just my thoughts.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Most guidelines for red-footeds say 65F at night for adults and 70f for young, but I think you also have to factor in ground temps. If it has been pretty warm and the ground under the hide is warm to a decent depth- go for it. But- if the ground is cool, I'd bring them in or consider a heated hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.