Is my baby box turtle growin too fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
I got her around Oct 3rd and she was 9 grams. The last time I weighed her was 3 days ago and she was 12g.

October
image-148839817.png

November
image-1648880981.png

I don't know if it came it right, I'm unloading from my phone. The pic with the growth lines I took today.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
She looks good to me. This is one of mine that was born in Sept 1.

004-65.jpg

I think mine is a little fat. She is a very aggressive eater and I have to feed her alone now. I didn't realize she was eating everyone's food besides her own. I think your's looks good. They're so damn cute aren't they?

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
lol they are, and thanks! I was planning on getting two, but i got a little scared because some websites were saying that if they don't get enough to eat, they'll go after each other. Have you heard of that before?

Terryo, is yours also a eastern box turtle? My baby is light tan...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If there is an agressive eater, he might accidentlaly take a nip from some other little guys foot or tail. I've seen this before. I have mine in al 40 gal. planted vivarium that I divided in two with a piece of cardboard. On one side I have two and on the other side I have three. I put the three together as none of them are agressive, but all eat well. The other two on the other side are both aggressive eaters, and I have to put two bits of food each time so they both get their share or one will chase the other for the food. They are very comical to watch. Box Turtles are my favorite. They make me laugh all the time. They are very social too. I have 6 box turtles outside in the turtle garden, and I always see them sleeping and soaking in twos or threes. There are two females that are always together. One will follow the other around all day. Very funny to watch. You should get another one so they grow up together!:D

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
terryo said:
If there is an agressive eater, he might accidentlaly take a nip from some other little guys foot or tail. I've seen this before. I have mine in al 40 gal. planted vivarium that I divided in two with a piece of cardboard. On one side I have two and on the other side I have three. I put the three together as none of them are agressive, but all eat well. The other two on the other side are both aggressive eaters, and I have to put two bits of food each time so they both get their share or one will chase the other for the food. They are very comical to watch. Box Turtles are my favorite. They make me laugh all the time. They are very social too. I have 6 box turtles outside in the turtle garden, and I always see them sleeping and soaking in twos or threes. There are two females that are always together. One will follow the other around all day. Very funny to watch. You should get another one so they grow up together!:D

That sounds great! I've seen a lot of your box turtle pictures an vivariums, very beautiful! Can I ask you 2 questions?

-Can I house a 3toed with my eastern?
-You have all those plants in there, does the soil ever get moldy? I want to plant live plants like yours, but if I don't stir around the soil, it gets moldy in some spots.

nikki0601 said:
OH my!!! Those are some adorable, adorable babies!!!!

HEY!! I'm in nursing school right now! I barely sleep! lol

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
-You have all those plants in there, does the soil ever get moldy? I want to plant live plants like yours, but if I don't stir around the soil, it gets moldy in some spots.

Many people don't, but I keep, Easterns, Three Toed's and a Gulf Coast all together in the garden. I don't sell any offspring, as they are all pets, and I never took in any eggs to incubate, but I might next year, if I get any.

I only keep the young one's inside that can't go out for the Winter yet and since they're small they really don't mess up the plants too much. I only mist the plants for the Box Turtles once a day, and water the plants right in their little pots that are buried in the soil, so nothing gets moldy. In the Winter I keep a heat bulb on, so the soil isn't that wet.
Did you see this site? There's lots of pictures of planted vivariums for baby turtles. It's my favorite site for Box Turtles.
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
terryo said:

Many people don't, but I keep, Easterns, Three Toed's and a Gulf Coast all together in the garden. I don't sell any offspring, as they are all pets, and I never took in any eggs to incubate, but I might next year, if I get any.

I only keep the young one's inside that can't go out for the Winter yet and since they're small they really don't mess up the plants too much. I only mist the plants for the Box Turtles once a day, and water the plants right in their little pots that are buried in the soil, so nothing gets moldy. In the Winter I keep a heat bulb on, so the soil isn't that wet.
Did you see this site? There's lots of pictures of planted vivariums for baby turtles. It's my favorite site for Box Turtles.
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

thanks for all your help Terryo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.