Is my Greek gravid again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Rafiki laid eggs in the frist part of May. We had only had her for a couple of weeks before she laid the eggs and looking back now she kind of started to act the same as back then. Sunday I weighed her and she was 632 grams. This morning I picked her up and she kind of felt back-end heavy. I weighed her and she was 685. Since Sunday night she has been very upset with my fiance and I (she's usually a grump but it seems like more of it the last few days) and has began to eat very little. She has been wanting to sleep or hang out in the same spot too. I don't think she's sick because of the weight gain and she's not really all that active of a tort to begin with. No one's been home for most of the day today so I don't know what she's been doing today.

With her laying the eggs pretty much two months ago, does that sound like she could have eggs again? And what are some other signs to look for besides hind leg digging and sniffing the ground?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi Nick,
Can you give us an idea of how you are keeping her? How often is she with a male? It may help answer speculation about the possibility of being sick or gravid.

This is prime laying season for my greeks and they lay every 2 - 4 weeks so it's very possible she needs to lay. Mine get very grumpy and harass the others and anything that gets near them when they are needing to lay.

Hope this helps a little!

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
She's the only tortoise in our house right now. We got her from petco back in late April. She laid eggs two weeks later. I know it's been awhile since then, almost two months, but I feel like shes doing the same thing. Her inside enclosure has a basking spot of 95+ warm side is usually above 85. cool side is 70-80. over night lowest it will get is 60ish. She's fed a varied diet with a few of her favorites being staples. She loves endive and radicchio so those are frequent flyers. We planted a garden full of different things she can eat, including plenty of succulents. I'm always finding different weeds for her to eat, too. So I think it suffices to say that she gets a varied diet. She's got an outside enclosure that she usually spends a lot of time in weather permitting, this year Iowa's weather has been skiddish. I haven't seen her hind leg digging this time but I'm not here a whole lot. If there's anything else you'd like to know just let me know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.