Is there a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
The Burmese Mountain tortoise is split into two subspecies - Manouria emys emys and Manouria emys phayrei. They both inhabit the same type of environment. The only real difference between them is size. The phayrei grow to twice the size of the emys emys.

You can tell them apart by their pectoral scutes. The M.e.e. have separated pectoral scutes while the M.e.p. have pectoral scutes the touch.

Coloration is NOT a reliable indicator - M.e.e. are referred to as "Brown" and M.e.p. as "Black," but you can't tell them apart by color, especially as youngsters. They can also interbreed between ssp. and produce what are called "intergrades."

I have 4 M.e.e. babies just waiting for the weather to be right for shipping :D :D :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are bought and paid for, waiting for them to be shipped to me. Definitely not selling them! I have been waiting since March of last year to be able to get these guys....

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
i have my 4 mep, they are great tortoises to keep, they love sprinklers, and actually are pretty lazy tortoises, they are active in temps. around high 60s low 70s, any hotter they tend to hide in the hides, unless sprinklers are one. very fun interesting tortoises.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Interesting is an understatement! They are almost turtle-like with respect to their affinity to water and cooler temps. They are rather intelligent in comparison to many other tortoises and seem to have a better memory, especially for locating food and escape routes. I find the Mep's are a little more laid back where the Mee's seem to want to be the center of attention. A Mep will track you down to see if you have anything of interest to them. If not, it will go about its business whereas a Mee will follow you around just to see if something of interest will turn up while you are in the enclosure.

The Mep's in my group have blockier heads than the Mee's although I have seen Mep's with more 'streamlined' heads. The adult male Mep's tend to demonstrate this trait moreso than the femailes but even Mep females in comparison to similarly sized Mee's will have a more rectangular aspect to their heads.

Hatchlings can sometimes be tricky and even a little delicate. Hydration is VERY important and balancing temperatures, humidity and lighting can be a little tricky. However, once past the 4 inch or so stage, they are almost bullet-proof and are one of the most personable torts out there.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh, I am beyond koo koo, trust me lol. This last week or so is pure torture!!! I have their enclosure all ready to go, just waiting for them to get here!!

Oh, as to where I am getting them from, they were bred by a member of th TSA and I bought them through the organization.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
They are by far the most interesting and personable chelonian I have ever met. They are very sturdy as cb or well established imports. That said there is no reason nowdays to get anything but a cb.
Although they do interbreed, but this should not be encouraged.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
kyryah said:
Oh, I am beyond koo koo, trust me lol. This last week or so is pure torture!!! I have their enclosure all ready to go, just waiting for them to get here!!

Oh, as to where I am getting them from, they were bred by a member of th TSA and I bought them through the organization.

How exciting!! Your nesting for them! I hope you post lot's of pics!!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wow now I want some too! Are they expensive? How big do the get? Are they hard to find?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They are about 200-300 for MEE, and 350-450 for MEP's, the Mee gets 18-22 inches, mep gets 24+ inches, and you can find them from vic, and other breeders, they are pricey thats all.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Angi said:
Wow now I want some too! Are they expensive? How big do the get? Are they hard to find?

They're definitely impossible for us to find in Canada. ;)
In the states some vendors such as tortoisesupply, theturtlesource, and many others of which I don't know may carry them from time to time. The emys is usually cheaper than the phayrei. But if you have the room, the phayrei would be the better choice as they're more cold tolerant and hardy than the emys.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
tortoises101 said:
Angi said:

In the states some vendors such as tortoisesupply, theturtlesource, and many others of which I don't know may carry them from time to time. The emys is usually cheaper than the phayrei. But if you have the room, the phayrei would be the better choice as they're more cold tolerant and hardy than the emys.
Both subspecies are very cold tolerant. Evening lows of 35F are tolerated by both. These lows are extreme, but do not cause harm. Indotestudo elongata are able to tolerate these temps as well. The elongata are more active and do feed on warmer days, while the manouria are less active until spring.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Benjamin said:
tortoises101 said:
Angi said:

Both subspecies are very cold tolerant. Evening lows of 35F are tolerated by both. These lows are extreme, but do not cause harm. Indotestudo elongata are able to tolerate these temps as well. The elongata are more active and do feed on warmer days, while the manouria are less active until spring.

Thanks for your input, Ben. I didn't know that T.elongata was actually cold tolerant to this extent.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
wow...i so want one of these. They sound way easier to take care of haha. But i definitely would not trade my Sullie for anything!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Please do NOT try temperature extremes! Although temperatures in the 30's are tolerated for overnight hours, temperatures do warm plenty on sunny days.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
One other positive thing about the Manouria family is the variety of food they eat,Some plants that are on all the lists for tortoises that are listed as toxic are a part of their natural daily diet, and are easy to grow indoors in the colder climates ( like mine ) during winter and summer without special lighting.Plus they can (but may not) eat anything that other types of tortoises eat, so it is easy to give them a varied diet year round. Len

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Mountain tortoises are fairly simple, i found the hardest part for me is humidty, and keeping them hydrated, tend to get dry around here, but i have a big outdoor enclosure for them. easier outdoors then indoors,

Status
Not open for further replies.