Is there a good grocery store diet?

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Can someone help me? I've a bunch of post and websites that had information on good diets for Eastern Hermann's tortoise's but I need somebody to clear this up for me. Is there a good grocery store diet? If not, what kinds of greens should he be eating regularly?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here are two threads on this subject that should help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-81609.html

The term "grocery store greens" can mean so many different things. To use a few types of plain lettuce or leafy greens, would probably not be a great diet. But if you add in some of the other suggestions in my thread, and/or doctor it up like Will does, or get some of the many "unusual" items that Will has been able to find, then yes, you CAN make a good diet of "grocery store greens".

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
I've read a bunch of care sheets and everything but I cant find most of the things on the list at Kroger. Currently it is winter in Michigan so, the snow makes finding grass impossible. I guess I'm looking for someone that can post a list of things to feed my Eastern Hermann's tortoise thats available from my local Kroger. Im always nervous of trying any new greens or any greens that I'm not positive that he can have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look in the packaged salad/lettuce section and find packages that contains a nice variety of different greens.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Okay, I've seen those bags of salad mix and thought about trying them but never did. I will now though. Thank youm

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Kroger has:
Kale
Radicchio
Bok Choy
Endive
Red Leaf Lettuce
Green Leaf lettuce
Bags of Spring Mix (not 50/50, too much spinach)
Bags of Power Greens
Some Krogers carry cactus pads and cactus fruit as well. Occasionally you will find dandelion greens at Kroger. What I would do is look for an asian market, H Mart is national, as they carry all sorts of good things like sqush blossoms many many high fibre asian varieties of lettuce and greens.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Awesome, thank you. I'm going to see if there are any places like that around me. If not, you really helped with the list of things to find at Kroger.