Is this normal behavior?

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Since I've gotten Pumpkin I've taken notice of some of his mannerisms and such and I was wondering if they were normal tortoise behaviors or a means for concern.

Firstly, he sometimes seems to shrug his arms forward and bob his head when he breathes. I notice this behavior most often when I've been handling him or he witnesses me watching him. Could it be that he's breathing more heavily because he's nervous around me still (after all, it's only been a week)? Or does this suggest labored breathing? He rarely does it when I've seen him walking around unaware of my presence. I'm so paranoid about respiratory infections it makes me nervous.

Also, Pumpkin has made on several instances a clacking noise with his jaw (he moves his mouth noticably when he makes the sound). This has happened twice during his soaks and once in his enclosure. Is this a normal type of vocalization?

Otherwise, Pumpkin seems very active, enjoys sunning himself, eats voraciously and passed a healthy looking stool in his bath a couple days ago. He's also passed two small urates, the first larger, and has peed a few times during his soaks. I'm still in school but when I get home I'm able to observe him and he seems to enjoy strutting around his enclosure during the day before he beds down, which is usually around 7 or a bit earlier (lights are usually on between 6-7 am and I turn them off at 9).

Could the mannerisms I've described be any evidence of a respiratory infection or other issue?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All sounds normal too me. The clicking, not sure why some do that, but just keep an eye on it, so it doesn't turn into something else.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yeah, I'm not sure what it means either. Elohi told me she's heard her tortoises make a similar noise, but there doesn't seem to be any telling what it's meant to communicate.

I'll monitor his eyes and nares to make sure he is in good health. He eats very well and moves around like a little bullet, so everything appears well...maybe tomorrow I'll take a close-up picture of his face to see what you guys think.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do remember a few posts a while back that some torts has clicking noise and it's pretty normal. Others, have had. URI. So, yes, I would just keep an eye on him for a while just to be sure it doesn't change into something. Sounds like its nothing and he is doing all normal things.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
my leo has been doing this for awhile. It is normal. It freaked me out at the beginning too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Pretty Normal, the leg pumping is normal breathing, they don't have a diapham , so they pump their legs like bellows. The clicking noise could just be normal sounds their jaw makes.

jap1161

5 Year Member
I have an indian star and he does pretty much the same thing. If he is active and eating & pooping well, I wouldn't worry. You should see some nasal discharge if he has a respiratory infection. I have noticed that if my star is not kept warm enough that he will get some mucus coming out of his nose. You will see small bubbles as they breathe.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
I haven't seen any discharge. I'll take another super close look today (he's still a juvenile so his nares are teeny tiny), but he appears to be in good health. I may just be being a overbearing mother.

Alex77

All sounds normal too me. The clicking, not sure why some do that, but just keep an eye on it, so it doesn't turn into something else.

My tortoise makes a clicking noise when drinking... it dips its jaw into the water then opens and closes its mouth a few times to swallow. It seems normal to me because they have beaks and that's the sound a beak makes when 'chewing' something thin, like water.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Maybe that's what Pumpkin is doing, since he usually only makes that sound while he's in his soak. I'll try to record him in his next soak to see if I can capture it on camera.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
I actually managed to record Pumpkin making his clicking sound today! He did it a couple of times in his soak this morning and I was able to whip out my ipod and capture it the final time. @Alex77 , is this anything like the noise your tortoise makes?

You might have to turn up your volume pretty loud to hear it, since Pumpkin only makes the noise once and my ipod has terrible video quality. Sorry about that!

Alex77

Hey sorry it took so long to answer. I tried to listen to this file a few times but it won't play on my slow Internet connection, unfortunately. Did you find out what the noise was? I found that by looking closely at my tort when it was making the sound, I could actually see its mouth clicking shut as it drank. If you don't see something similar, maybe you should do some more research to find out what's up, just in case it's serious. Good luck :)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
In the video clip his jaw does move. He has only ever made the noise during or immediately after his soak (and that was only one time), so I'm thinking maybe it does have something to do with drinking...