Is this normal growth my baby looks like he's cracking

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you're not covering the enclosure, does he have a humid hiding place? My baby leopard was raised in an open-topped tort table, but he had a large hiding place that I kept packed with moistened sphagnum moss. I also poured a pitcher full of water over the substrate every couple days.

donna torti

He's in a viv . But he has 2 humid hides full.off spaghnum .moss . I spray it down 3 times a day . My other 6 tortis all on tables . Not.fond off vivs

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
He's in a viv . But he has 2 humid hides full.off spaghnum .moss . I spray it down 3 times a day . My other 6 tortis all on tables . Not.fond off vivs
Hmm i don't know whats causing it, whats his diet like? he's a beauty by the way!

donna torti

Thankyou I love him . I feed him a supermarket spring mix . Dandelions . Bits off pak choi.romaine and an accasionaly clump off viola flowers

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Thankyou I love him . I feed him a supermarket spring mix . Dandelions . Bits off pak choi.romaine and an accasionaly clump off viola flowers
If I'm correct, i have never had a leopard but i think they should be having grass too as i was going to get one and researched into it and it said 80% of the diet should be grass

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Thank you, mine is 5 months. :D I think leopards are prone to pyramiding as if you type "adult leopard tortoise" into google images they mostly seem to be pyramiding I think I have only ever seen one or 2 that aren't. We can both stop it as they are only young. I think mines because of lack of humidity. I'm working on the humidity levels though ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432692389.603645.jpg

donna torti

I Wi write a list off different grass n get some . Yes your right they are only young I'm sure they will be fine . Humidity is quite hard to maintain its a pain

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It is difficult to maintain isn't it?
I don't have leopards but have heard they are particularly vulnerable.
keep trying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see any problem with your leopards shell. If you rinse with RO, distilled or rain water, you can eliminate those hard water stains.

Regular leopards do not need grass and in the wild they tend to eat less grass than many other species. Its fine if they eat it, but you don't need to go crazy with it and it certainly doesn't need to be 80%.

Maintaining humidity is easy in a closed chamber and near impossible in an open topped enclosure. You should not be having so much trouble in a vivarium.

Try these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Food suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles