Is this Ok for a Horsefield tortoise?

Cael Gallagher

I am planning to convert this bench into a a new home for my horsefield tortoise , he is 5 years old. I'm unsure whether I am going to use the lid but if I do I will put a window on it and drill holes for ventilation. Is this ok?IMG_5728.JPG IMG_5733.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It's hard to judge the size from the picture. What would be the Length and width of the floor space available to your tortoise?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Cael Gallagher and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I like the idea, though I think it's too small. Please keep in mind that torts are used to roam around as they like in the wild, without borders.

Any pics of your tort?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Its roughly 120 mm by 80mm

For those members that use imperial measurements that translates into 3'11" x 2'7".

And how long is your tortoise?

Here's how to measure Straight Carapace Length
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

My thoughts are that it's rather on the small side for what should be a relatively mature size tortoise at that age.

Horsfields (also known as Russians) are very active torts that need lots of space. They love to dig and climb and are very good at escaping.

You should be aiming for 1.2x2.4 metres (4'x8') which is the minimum for a grown tort of this species.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Nice looking tort :) You have done a good job. However at around 13cm/5 inches your tort needs a bigger enclosure than that bench.

A large old bookcase layed on its back with the shelves knocked out is worth considering. You will need to cap the corners to thwart escape attempts.

Cael Gallagher

Thank You, I'll now likely build a tortoise table, any suggestions for what I can decorate the interior with?