Itchy Skin?

Spotted Green

I was watching my tortoise just now and noticed that he was moving his head an awful lot. He was rubbing the sides of his head across both of his little front club feet. I picked him and his skin looked a bit dry, flaky almost. The skin behind his legs (the part that puffs out) looks a bit pink and almost ashy. I don't have any pictures at the moment because I'm giving him a warm bath and he seems to be enjoying that but is it normal for tortoises skin to shed? Its not any of the scales its the side of his head and what would be equivalent to the human shoulders and little bit of chest (before it hits shell).

Thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes"Thread and different care sheets, and post pics of your tort and his enclosure asap.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It would be helpful to us if we knew a bit more about your tortoise - what species is he? How is he housed? Indoors/outdoors?

It sounds to me as if he is rubbing his eyes on his legs. This sometimes means the light is bothering his eyes. What kind of light do you use for him?