I've got Another Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I Feel as if I'm getting a little annoying but I wanna make sure everything is safe and perfect for the home coming of the RF im adopting.
For the edge's of his enclosure I am thinking of using 2'x8' pieces of vinyl lattice.
4ky5b7.jpg

Would this be okay, there will be a mesh around the inside so that they can't get out of the holes, along with a top that can be secured.

Also, I've read something about RF's being escape artists, should i dig down and secure something under the dirt so that they can't burrow under it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, a solid fence is better. I feel that if they can see through the fence they will always try to get to the other side. In its favor, the vinyl lattice is pretty and indestructible, and you can bury it down several inches to inhibit the digging.

Yvonne

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Okay Do you know of anything that is semi flexible? The area i'm putting her in has a few curves along it so i thought the lattice would work because its flexible but very durable.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You could try aluminum or vinyl siding or roofing panels about two sheets high (I think each panel is 8" wide). Bury this 3" to 4" deep (RFs are not great diggers and frustrate easily). I think the aluminum would be preferable because it's harder for uninvited to get in. My personal choice is cement blocks.

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
i was thinking cement blocks but i wasnt sure just cause of the amount it will take, plus the curves in the area.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have wire as the walls around many of my enclosures. Sounds like that is what you thought about doing correct? Then have the lattice actually more as a visual things for both you and the tort?

I have no problem with a lot of pacing along my fence lines. I think if you have enough visual barriers be it the solid walls or plants (as in my case) and everything else inside the pen makes the tortoise comfortable you won't have much.

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thank you and yes im going to use a wire with smaller holes in it, and the lattice is for like a sturdy area to secure the wire to and for visual effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.