Ivory

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
I have a leopard named Ivory. She is just over a year old now.
History:
Last August I got tortoise crazy and ordered 3 leopard hatchlings, I had ordered 2 more but they had to be sent 2 wks later due to their age. When I got the first 3 they was kinda odd looking. Little rough I guess you could say. Ivory was one of these 3. The care sheet that was provided with them gave instructions on how to set up their housing and give them daily care, all of it what we would consider wrong, dry open top enclosure, hay for substrate, a 10 minute soak once weekly, no water bowl, etc. Now I will own my part in this, I knew very well what Questions you should ask a person before purchasing a tortoise, and well, I didn't ask any of them. I was excited and got ahead of myself and for that I can't answer some questions about how they was raised before they got to me. I do know that the person I got them from had just picked them up that day so I assume he did not hatch them. So I'm basically doing what I know to do to provide proper care, Everything was moving along fine. My other two came 2 wks later and off we went. Well in October (I think, I'm bad with time frames) the leopards started acting odd. One by one they died. Ivory was the only one that made it. Now when I got her she was 1.75" and 26 grams. She was growing nice and steady until the others started dieing. After all the others was gone and she was the only one left I paid very close attention to her, weights and measurements almost daily. The daily stuff was bugging me because I didn't really see any change and I felt like perhaps it was too stressful on her so I cut back to weekly. I follow the care sheet tom provided for leopards and sulcatas. I have closed chamber enclosures, provide all the recommended items, I do daily enclosure cleanings, daily soaks, we go outside when weather permits, we have a varied diet. She basically gets the exact care that my Sulcata hatchlings do and their thriving, growing like machines. Poor Ivory is not. She measured at 2.5" in October and She did continue to put on weight, she finally made it to 70 grams this past April and that's where she stopped. Perhaps hatchling failure? She isn't growing anymore but she is active, eating like a machine. In every other way besides growing she seems to be a normal tortoise, doing the same thing all my others are doing. We pushed through winter and once spring arrives we started going outside again. I noticed that all my hatchlings was much bolder now, more active outside then last year. I guess their
Older, they would start eating just as soon as they hit grass. Ivory ate all the time, she would explore some but always stop every couple steps to munch on whatever was in front of her. She had everything provided she needed, sun, shade, water, food, and safety from predators so I would let them stay out for a few hours a day, we always soak for 10 minutes before going into the outdoor enclosures and again another 15 minutes at the end of their outside time, I would adjust these times depending on the weather due to fear of maybe overheating them or dehydrating them. So Ivory is doing great and I'm thinking maybe she is just not going to grow. Ok.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342519.498317.jpg
This is Ivory back in October. Active, climbing her rocks.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342607.644394.jpg
Ivory in November, her last day outside before winter came.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342724.877246.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342746.444056.jpg
December measuring
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342776.493740.jpg
This is her basic look if her food dish is empty. Also December.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342904.559084.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342925.242783.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342951.510285.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440342976.043692.jpg
This is March, one of the first spring weed offerings she got. She was very very happy about the better weather and variety of weeds available after the winter months. She ate every bit of them right up.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440343166.558308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440343183.473532.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440343199.809286.jpg
Mid July, a little swim in the kiddy pool. She loved it.

Now at the end of July I noticed something weird. She was staying in her water bowls. I have a dish for drinking water and one larger one for her to self soak. She was staying in one or the other practically all the time. So I start monitoring her very closely and find that the only time she's getting out of these dishes is when she is eating. I continue to soak her daily even tho she is living in water. I do a check off list in my head, nothing in her routine or environment has changed. Why is she sitting in the water like this? Besides the 20-30 minutes she is eating she is in the water. She is even sleeping in the water.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440343776.309165.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440343807.892477.jpg
This is basically how she stayed all day and night except if she was eating.
The living in the water went on for about a week, maybe 10 days and then I started noticing another thing

She wasn't eating real well. She would nibble this or that if I offered weeds, she ate only half the portion of mazuri I gave when usually she eats it all. Over about a 3 day period she went from this behavior to not eating at all.

The same time the eating thing was happening I also noticed a decline in her activity level. That has slowly declined over about a week, she hasn't moved for the last 2 days. Yesterday while outside she buried up under a plug of crabgrass and that's where she stayed until we went back in. Once inside she went straight back to her spot and didn't move.

She has also dug out a little spot that she is staying in. She has never dug, she has always slept on top her log hide in the greenery. It's not a deep spot, just enough that she sinks in a bit. Her top layer of bark is dry and then just below that her substrate is damp, it's like once she hit the dampness she quit digging and that's where she is now staying.

Her humidity is at 92%, her temps are all good. I see no signs of RI.

As of today she is still 2.5" and has dropped to 65 grams, she has not moved or ate today.

Could this be hatchling failure? Am I possibly going to loose her?
Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sorry to hear this Amanda, it sure sounds like thats what it is. It's pretty weird that she's spending a lot of time in water though. Hope she pulls through.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Sorry to hear this Amanda, it sure sounds like thats what it is. It's pretty weird that she's spending a lot of time in water though. Hope she pulls through.
Ya I had almost talked myself out of her having hatchling failure because she was doing so good!! I actually was chopping up a cactus pad to chunk up and freeze and thought, well let me try, she loves cactus. I made 3 paper thin slivers and gave her, it took a moment (normally she just attacks) but she did eat them. All of them. So that's encouraging. I'm going to go pick a couple favorite weeds and perhaps I can persuade her into those too. I just hate to lose one, and then about 2 months ago my daughter just took an interest in her and has been helping me with daily care. I told her if she would put in the time to learn how to care for them and show me she really wanted it she could pick herself out a leopard hatchling, and I would order it for her. At the time Ivory was fine so I told her 2, that way we didn't have a pair but now we are holding off to see what happens with Ivory. My daughter will totally be heartbroken if she passes. She sees Ivory as her tortoise now. But thank you for the generous amount of cactus, that will last me forever, Ivory thanks you too

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, so sorry. It's so hard to say if it's hatchling syndrome or soemthing else. Have you had her checked for parasites? That might be something to do. Be very careful if they decide to treat her. Ask this forum first, specifically Yvonne G and Tom if the meds they give you are okay. Too many vets don't know much about treating torts.
Next, maybe do some baby food carrot soaks with pedialyte in it also. See if this can get her going.
Also, when and if you do purchase anymore, please do,your research first on the breeders. There are many members of this forum that you could buy from that you wouldn't have to go through all this agony. I think you guys over there have had enough loss to bare. I sure hope this little one can pull through.
Oh, also, I rescued a leopard a couple years back. Was very small. It couldn't walk and had been kept in a 10 gallon. She was suppose to be the same age as the male imhad, but was no where near his size. After the therapy to get her walking and much bigger enclosure and better diet and hydration, she finally is catching up to,the size she should be. It took a while for her to start growing and she too ate like a pig. If you can get this one back on track, I think she will grow, it will just be much slower then one that was started out right.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Wow, so sorry. It's so hard to say if it's hatchling syndrome or soemthing else. Have you had her checked for parasites? That might be something to do. Be very careful if they decide to treat her. Ask this forum first, specifically Yvonne G and Tom if the meds they give you are okay. Too many vets don't know much about treating torts.
Next, maybe do some baby food carrot soaks with pedialyte in it also. See if this can get her going.
Also, when and if you do purchase anymore, please do,your research first on the breeders. There are many members of this forum that you could buy from that you wouldn't have to go through all this agony. I think you guys over there have had enough loss to bare. I sure hope this little one can pull through.
Oh, also, I rescued a leopard a couple years back. Was very small. It couldn't walk and had been kept in a 10 gallon. She was suppose to be the same age as the male imhad, but was no where near his size. After the therapy to get her walking and much bigger enclosure and better diet and hydration, she finally is catching up to,the size she should be. It took a while for her to start growing and she too ate like a pig. If you can get this one back on track, I think she will grow, it will just be much slower then one that was started out right.

Ya, we checked for parasites, that was fine. The vet said he didn't feel that giving any type of meds was warranted at this point. Her poo is good too. (Meant to post that in original post)
Oh yes, I have seriously learned my lesson. I do great research on whomever I am thinking about getting a tort from now. I did the research when I got my sulcatas, a month before I got the leopards, I just jumped the gun and got stupid for a moment with getting my leopards, I didn't research the seller or ask the right questions. I try and stick to the market place here on the forum, if I do find something on another site I do some real checking into them before hand. The heartbreak of loosing a baby sucks and I would really prefer not to go through it anymore. Plus, now that my daughter is really getting into them (I have secretly hoped she would for a year now) I would really hate for her to loose one. She is really busting her hump to take care of them with me. She is researching their care, she even joined the forum so she could get the right info straight off the bat, of course I've showed her the caresheets and kinda started her on threads to read and such. She is really putting in the time which tickles me pink. Being my only child I have hoped she would get into them so I can leave them to her once I'm gone. She's already took Ivory as hers and she is saving her chore money's now so she can "pick her own out". She wants to eventually have a group.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
So I thought I would do a little post on Ivory. She is still doing nothing I her inside enclosure but today I took everyone out for a sunny soak. She fused about the soak the entire time she was in it which usually she just sits there. After our 30 minutes in the water we got out and enjoyed some yard time. Now lately since she has been doing this weird stuff she will bury under a clump of grass and that's where she stays till I bring her back in but today she really shocked me. She picked herself out a patch of clover and went to town in them. She spent her entire outside time munching on clover and blades of grass.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I have decided that she's just taking herself a "dormant" period or something. She eats fine as long as I set her in front of the pile of food. She is still holding her whopping 70 grams and 2.5".

Now during me weighing and measuring I noticed something I had never noticed before.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442032684.255718.jpg
The area near her tail on her shell is humped up. That wasn't like that the last time unweighted and measured her.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442032873.203743.jpg
I also noticed a little hole. This too wasn't there. And then the little raised areas look like their coming unattached too.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442032946.436061.jpg
The raised area is higher on the right side.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442032993.485758.jpg
You can see the weird hole better here.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033031.952454.jpg
That hole is real clear here.

Now ever since I've had her she has had something, normal or not, I don't know, I'm guessing not, growing under her neck down in her shell. I noticed today that this too is getting larger. She had something kinda like it once on there "chest" area. Looked like a wart but I simply removed it gently with a pair of tweezers. This area has always concerned me but its never seemed to be growing until now. She doesn't seem to act like it's bothersome or anything. I have messed w it with tweezers before and it didn't seem overly sensitive to her or anything.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033320.182884.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033338.498953.jpg
Does anyone know what this is? Ever seen anything like it?

Now just some regular pics to show her off. Lol.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033516.847769.jpg
This is her "are we doing this thing w the camera again?" Look
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033578.180756.jpg
Top shot
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033640.732571.jpg
Right side
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033678.897185.jpg
Somewhat of a left side shot. She was done and was trying to take off.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033733.812881.jpg
Her being nosey.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033766.779162.jpg
Just chillin
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442033796.328342.jpg
And the cutest for last, her little butt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's an awfully pretty little tortoise. I would have the vet take a look at that bump.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hard to say what's going on.

In one case I had a set of 10 clutchmates come through my care. Only 1 made it, the other 9 didn't. The one that did took FOREVER to grow and gain weight. Once he finally started growing, it was very slow. (Still is)
With the 9 that didn't make it, I noticed a sad trend. Many of them slowed their eating, became inactive and spent much of their time in the water dish before passing.

I hope the best for you and ivory.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I think you have found the secret, outside time in good weather.
We go outside everyday possible. For the most part that's daily. We might have missed 3-4 days since April. Usually she explores and eats while outside but here lately she hasn't been. Yesterday was the first time she was acting "normal" outside.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
She's an awfully pretty little tortoise. I would have the vet take a look at that bump.

Ok. Have you ever seen anything like that? She had a place like it come up on her "chest" area, next to her left leg once and I simply used tweezers and with ease pulled it off. Kinda reminded me of a wart. The one on her chest showed up right after she finished shedding her skin right after I got her.
And thank you, I think she is a cutie myself.