Hatchling leopard enclosure - advice welcome.

TimS

Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, OH, USA
Attached is what we have for our hatchling leopard. We believe she is about four or five months old. Initially, she ate well and roamed around. But now, she doesn't touch her food and tends to go to the end of the enclosure furthest away from the heat and sleep the entire day. When she is soaked, she will open her eyes and move around; hold her head up and look around. I just now gave her the hide again as I thought she was cooling off too much staying in it all day. Now I realize that was a mistake as she was probably stressed.

I have coconut coir - should that be her substrate? Is what is in there now too dry and rough? I had thought the coir would bind her up if she ingested some of it. Are the lights too low? I'm guessing I should invest in a thermometer to check the temp of her baski spot. That's a 75w bulb in the image.

She does not seem to eat at all. She gets a diet of various leafy greens with peas or green beans as well. She doesn't defecate in the soak. Should we see if bringing the hide back settles any stress she may be under? See if that brings her appetite back? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 46

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Temps are very important. Need to know basking temp, warm side, cool side , night low. Usually they are not warm enough when not eating. You need to know your humidity too. That enclosure, unless the room humidity is 80% is probably way too dry. Check out the care guides in the leopard section.
Coco coir is great by the way. Hope we can help you turn things around. If you aren't, you should weigh her weekly to monitor how she is doing.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Everything Jodie said is important to know to help you. First thing I noticed is you should replace that red light with a ceramic heat emitter and your water bowl is a flipping over and drowning hazard. Terra cota plant saucer would be best.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
This accurite temp. Humidity gauge works well. At Walmart it is $8. A temperature infrared temp gun is also needed to check temperatures around the enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454723992.884357.jpg

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
The light fixture clamps you have can fail and fall into your enclosure and burn your tortoise or start a fire. A lid over your tub will help keep humidity levels up and you can place your light fixtures on top of the lid. Uva/uvb bulb is also needed. I didn't read any of that in your post. I would recommend a mercury vapor bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Water dish needs to be change to a low side clay saucer. A top needs to be put on to make a closed chamber so a temp of 80 can be maintain along with a humidity of 80% and a basing spot of 95-100. Please read the threads below in my post.