Leopard hatchling concern.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My 3rd leopard hatchling hatched on November 28th. She had a very large tube shaped yolk sac. It was very different from the others. I have kept it moist, and it is being absorbed, slowly. It is still bigger than a pea though. She eats a tiny bit, but is losing weight. Is there anything I should be doing for her? I think I will start baby food soaks tomorrow unless that would hurt the sac.
She is of course still in brooder box on moist paper towels. Her temps vary over little where she is at. 82-90. I soak her twice a day.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thanks. I am not sure if I need to worry too much or not. She is reasonably active and has bright open eyes. The weight loss freaks me out. It is only 2 grams, but she started at only 28.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not do baby food soaks and I'd only soak once a day.

My Philosophy in a case like this is to let nature take its course. You've done everything you can to give this baby a leg up. If it doesn't have some sort of internal congenital defect, then it should finish the absorption and move on. I've had some take 10-12 days to fully absorb the yolk sac.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would not do baby food soaks and I'd only soak once a day.

My Philosophy in a case like this is to let nature take its course. You've done everything you can to give this baby a leg up. If it doesn't have some sort of internal congenital defect, then it should finish the absorption and move on. I've had some take 10-12 days to fully absorb the yolk sac.
Ok. All my others absorbed in less than 48 hours, so good to know. Makes me feel better.