Joshua Tree Reptile Haven

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Joshua Tree Reptile Haven
Featuring Y's Tortoise Sanctuary

We did it, this is our Non Profit Business, awaiting our 501(c)3 tax exempt status. We own this Name officially. My wife (@JoJosMom) and I are doing it, we are committing not just our home and property but our time and Love to Tortoises and Turtles. Of course we are not just that but more of that's what our focus is. As the need (more of a demand) of homes for Tortoises and Turtles exponential grows in our area we have decided to do something, start a rescue. We are committed to learning all we can about all aspects of these incredible animals and their care, we're no experts. We have the passion and ability so we are jumping in head first and giving it 100%. Some of you already know a little about us but here on this thread we plan on sharing everything that comes with starting a Tortoise Rescue from the beginning. We are currently designing a logo and working with a local artist on that, hope to be finished soon. This morning our local Rock Quarry (711 Materials) donated 14 tons of sand (28,000 lbs.) and delivered it to our home for the Turtle Ponds. 2 Days ago we drove to Long Beach CA to pay scrap price for an (older)4x4 Expedition with the 5.4 liter engine to be the official "Tortoise Expeditioner." We plan on getting it wrapped with vinyl to look like a Desert with Joshua Trees and torts walking around and of course the word "The Tortoise Expeditioner." The gentleman wanted it to "Get used for Good" and through a mutual friend he heard of us and voila. Things are happening fast, like at the speed of life fast and we're just trying to hold on. Tortoises have taken our lives into directions we never imagined, and we have no idea what lies ahead. We both would like to thank the TFO, it has been there for us from the start giving us piece of mind that we could get answers to our questions. We'll make sure to post lots of pics and answer any questions any one may have.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
How wonderful! Are there specific reptiles you will or will not be working with? I am always on the lookout here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that's great! So glad you can do this. Just don't forget, this forum is here to help with any questions you might have, whether tortoise, turtle, or most any animal, someone here likely can help.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Wow, that's great! So glad you can do this. Just don't forget, this forum is here to help with any questions you might have, whether tortoise, turtle, or most any animal, someone here likely can help.
We never would undertake this without the forum. We plan on going nowhere else.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
How wonderful! Are there specific reptiles you will or will not be working with? I am always on the lookout here.
I am SO sorry, forgot to answer your question. Was out in the yard and remembered had to come answer ya. We are not (right now) going to house any reptiles long term besides torts and turtles. We will take in any reptile but will then work to find a FOREVER home. Our plan is to get a metal building built to be the "Reptile Room," this is where we will be able to house Large Snakes, Iguanas and other lizards, and it will be our place for Hospital setups and any indoor needs we have. Our care for all animals will I guess be our guide, we will do for any animal what we can.

I am famous for saying stuff that doesn't need saying, and saying stuff that shouldn't be said so not sure if this falls into either of those categories but ... There are no paid employees. This was done so the animals can have an income not my wife and I. We have come across lots of people that wouldn't help for fear of us taking it, we eliminated that fear.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
Oh honey @EppsDynasty, you forgot to tell them all about the "New Lawnmower"!

Ok, so first of all I don't think this is funny! BUT, we went to Home Depot and purchased a gas powered lawn mower before they are all sold out. We have not had use for a mower in over 10 years. Anything that was done we either did with the truck or our tractor. We now have said rescue and have pens that need to be mowed. Anyway, we came home, opened it up and my husband @EppsDynasty put the oil and gas in. He starts it up, grabs the handle and immediately releases it. He looks down puzzled and GRABS IT AGAIN!..............He has a PACEMAKER! The darn mower was shocking him!!

Now my first thought is "Oh my gosh, what is it doing to his heart"! "That can't be good to have a shocking device and get shocked by something else can it?"

Long story short, we took it back and exchanged it for the "Last Melon"....(for those of you who don't know that saying watch the movie Ice Age)....New one works no shocking and so husband has been mowing his little heart out!

Thought I would add that in there.... :)

Thank you everyone. We are humble, we are passionate and we are dedicated! If you do not see me on here often, it is not because I am a snob, it is because I am very busy with hoops we are still jumping through. I read any chance I get. We are very grateful for the TFO and of course ALL of you!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
It never gets easier.....
So yesterday we took in a Opossum, found alive (barely) on its mother's back in Bakersfield,Ca who had been hit by a car and died. All the babies died except one, but he was not in good shape. He/She had a large laceration on the groin area and leg and had obvious trauma. We did not know how bad till we actually put our hands on him and assessed. We knew this was an uphill battle but were willing and not going to give up on this poor little thing. We gave it our all but it was just to much Trauma, he passed peacefully on a heat pad in our living room. DAMN IT ........
I MUST get used to getting the call when there is not a lot of hope, when there is no one else. It reminds me of being a child and knowing "I want to be a Vet," until my grandmother explained it to me. "You see when your a vet you will see animals that are hurt, in pain or dying right in front of you everyday. Is that something you want?"
We got the call on this guy because there was nowhere else that would help, so we are glad to be there for that, it is still hard. I do understand that you don't get that happy ending without heartache and pain. It doesn't make it any easier though. I WANT TO SAVE EM ALL ! but we all know that isn't possible.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
Awe little Nelson 😔 He was such a doll, let us wash him up and put medicine on his wounds. I am thankful he passed snuggled warm and peaceful with our love surrounding him. Hardest part of what we do is losing the uphill battle. Rest In Peace little one 😔