Joyful Foraging

Aroidsandarboreals

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, BC
I’ve only been a tortoise owner for 3 days but I am overjoyed with striving for the best husbandry. Got a 5 month old Russian tortoise and I’ve been researching for over a year beforehand. Thanks to groups and experts for confirming plant ID’s, I’ve successfully found ribwort plantain, purple dead nettle, and geranium next to my house. My goal is to grow and forage all the best feeds for my baby. Free food! Spreading my love for plants into my reptile hobby even further. Just wanted to share my happiness with you. 06F4E0BC-EADC-4C8D-A67E-C4C9AB7B654F.jpeg

Attachments

• 8525C370-265C-4868-9C75-06BFB56FCE13.jpeg
    8525C370-265C-4868-9C75-06BFB56FCE13.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 0142EF25-D9D1-45D6-AC1A-1688F06CD52D.jpeg
    0142EF25-D9D1-45D6-AC1A-1688F06CD52D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 4A7E0B66-4703-4465-B287-759B67D48E64.jpeg
    4A7E0B66-4703-4465-B287-759B67D48E64.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you did your research first. However, if you read outside this forum, you may have gotten some bad or old info.
Like what substrate are you using?
Soil, dirt, sand, all bad unless taken from your own yard. Sand is always bad
Orchid bark, fir bark or coconut coir is what should be used. I like coconut coir on the bottom with the bark on top.
Nice that you found and can grow plants. I'm not so good with the plants.

_The_Beast_

Canada
Welcome to the forum! Your little one is super cute. I'm working on growing my own greens as well and they've been a big hit with my little russian.

Aroidsandarboreals

Vancouver, BC
Glad you did your research first. However, if you read outside this forum, you may have gotten some bad or old info.
Like what substrate are you using?
Soil, dirt, sand, all bad unless taken from your own yard. Sand is always bad
Orchid bark, fir bark or coconut coir is what should be used. I like coconut coir on the bottom with the bark on top.
Nice that you found and can grow plants. I'm not so good with the plants.
This is the first I’ve heard that sand is bad. I was watching Garden State Tortoise and they used a sand/topsoil mixture so that’s what I used, since I have it for my ackie as well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is the first I’ve heard that sand is bad. I was watching Garden State Tortoise and they used a sand/topsoil mixture so that’s what I used, since I have it for my ackie as well
Yeah there's a few things he does that we don't promote. Mixing species, open top enclosures for hatchlings, letting non native species brumate on their own.
Sand can and has caused impaction. You shouldn't take the risk but it's your choice.

Aroidsandarboreals

Vancouver, BC
Yeah there's a few things he does that we don't promote. Mixing species, open top enclosures for hatchlings, letting non native species brumate on their own.
Sand can and has caused impaction. You shouldn't take the risk but it's your choice.
After more
after more research, I see that playsand is not the same as “natural” sand. In that it’s sharp and coarse, not smooth and rounded. So the “in the wild” statement does not apply. Thanks for the advice that led me to further investigation. Just because it’s okay for ackies doesn’t mean it’s good for tortoises. I will be changing my substrate out today

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
The most up to date care information for tortoises which covers everything can be found in this link and there's a caresheet specifically for Mediterranean/Temperate species included in it. It will certainly keep your tort happy and healthy.

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
AFAIK the sand thing is about the fact that we are giving leaves etc which are lying on the soil/sand. In nature the tortoise would be eating plants that grow above any soil and sand and so not ingesting it.

I enjoy my nature walks too - loads of hedgerows abound near me. I have spur-thighs but they enjoy Dandelion (their favourite), mallow, hedge mustard, storks bill, ground salad, clover, and dead nettle amongst other things.

You will find that what's available changes depending on the weather and time of year. I try and keep some emergency food like pansies growing in the garden so I can supplement if nature is being miserly.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
AFAIK the sand thing is about the fact that we are giving leaves etc which are lying on the soil/sand. In nature the tortoise would be eating plants that grow above any soil and sand and so not ingesting it.

I enjoy my nature walks too - loads of hedgerows abound near me. I have spur-thighs but they enjoy Dandelion (their favourite), mallow, hedge mustard, storks bill, ground salad, clover, and dead nettle amongst other things.

You will find that what's available changes depending on the weather and time of year. I try and keep some emergency food like pansies growing in the garden so I can supplement if nature is being miserly.
Yeah, and then there are some other factors that come from the pet supply trade:
1. Some sand sold for reptiles is clumping, meaning that if ingested it will cause a serious blockage and lead to a multitude of problems starting with impaction.
2. Some pet stores still sell sand with added calcium in it, that is "mean to be ingested". This is not safe at all. Not only is this sand clumping, it also has calcium that encourages your reptile to ingest sand.
3. Many sands sold contain silica, which has many health risk, both for humans and reptiles, especially when used indoors.
These three types of sand absolutely shouldn't be sold to tortoises or used in tortoise enclosures.

Also it is rare for many reptiles to live on pure/loose sand in the wild. Pure/loose sand doesn't retain moisture and hold burrows well enough for tortoises.