just a quick question, need some advice

Esme and Torty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Today I was at Pets at home, (a pet store well known in the UK)
I bought a calcium block for birds, could my horsefield eat this ?
Thank you,
Esme and Torty x

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
maybe.. a Cuttle bone is good too.
Just leave it in with him.. When they want it, they should nibble on it.

Esme and Torty

5 Year Member
UK
He does have a cuttle bone but he won't touch it, the only way I can get him to eat it is if I sprinkle it on his cucumber. His beak is getting a tad long so I thought I can try him on this block :)
Esmé and Torty x

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have heard of people dying the cuttle bone or calcium block orange or red and their torts go mad over it. I put calcium powder mixed with a little water to make a paste and my Leos will go nuts for it. The Sullys, russians and boxies not so much. For them I use the liquid and spritz it onto their food 2 times a week.

Esme and Torty

5 Year Member
UK
Thats such a good idea ! Thank you. How would I safely colour the cuttle ?
I will definitely try your suggestions. Do you have any trouble with your tortoises beaks ? I haven't tried the bird block yet but I don't want it to get the stage were he cant eat anything ! Any tips or advice would be much appreciated :)
Esme and Torty x

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
He'll eat it as needed. Might leave it untouched for months. They seem to like them grubby, so don't worry about that, and don't feel you have to provide a steady dose of it.

Cucumber should be a rare treat as it is mostly water.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My Redfoot wouldn't touch it... Didn't go near it, now he won't let me near it! He drags it around and sleeps with his head on it and usually eats it within two weeks ... I then give him a new one and he does it all over again with dragging it around and loving on it ... Then he eats it!

Maybe I SHOULD get him a female!

Esme and Torty

5 Year Member
UK
The problem I have is when I sprinkle it on his greens when hes munching away most of the cuttle falls off :/
When I sprinkle it on the cucumber it sticks. Obviously !

Watsonpartyof4-
That is so cute, like how a pet dog would have chew toy ! So your red foot loves it !?
My tortoise always has access to cuttle fish but has no interest in it, when I get a chance I'll upload a picture for you guys you can tell me how bad it is or of im just overreacting.
This might be a stupid question but can beaks be filed back ?
Many many thanks !
Esme and Torty xx