Just expanded their habiat...now are they bored??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi everyone :) I recently moved my babies into a very large horse trough with coco substrate. It is 50% covered with UVB 100 watt on hot end and CHE 100w on the other. They have one large hide on the hot side which is at 95. They have 2 hides by the CHE. They were very excited and happy when I first moved them , but now, they just eat (their food bowl is right by the CHE as well) lay on the tiles under the CHE and go back in there hides. They do drink and soak themselves too. I keep the humidity at 75-85% by spraying down the enclosure and a humidifier. My question is are they bored? Should I add more plants? I do have grass growing in there, but I'm afraid to add too much more because the littlest likes to climb and flip over...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If possible, place the food on the opposite side from the hiding place, and make several sight barriers between the hiding place and the food. This makes him have to hunt for his food and gives him something to do besides come out and eat.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Good idea :) so I'm making it too easy for them :p

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Thanks for the input! I moved the food bowl and added some things like a plant and a log. It seems to have helped. They are roaming around

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Adding the new stuff helped a lot :) changing the contour a little has brought out their curious side too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.