Just finished outdoor enclosure for Redfoot

GroovyBrent

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA
Just finished our new outdoor enclosure for Jet, our 3yo cherry headed redfoot.

Pond has a small filter with a gentle slope to get in on one side. Jet already tested it out and was able to get out from the deep end (yay!).

Jet also has a large house with 2 ceramic heat lamps inside (controlled by a thermostat) to stay warm in the evenings. I think we'll need to do something over the opening to keep the heat in. The ceiling hinges up for access and cleaning.

We've been planning this for awhile, and excited to finally have it done!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454880524.529799.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454880550.367985.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454880564.569248.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice little home!
Two suggestions: The tortoise isn't going to understand that he should only enter and leave through that sloped area. He will try to enter and leave in every place in that pool. Mine do. Watch and make sure that no area of the edge looks like it could be a tipping hazard. I also poured a small cement area "apron" around my ponds to cut down on the debris that gets tracked into the water.
Also, I'd place a rubber flap, attached at the top, to keep out air drafts from the night house. I've used very inexpensive, automotive floor mats with good results. I've never met a tortoise that didn't instinctively push it aside and get indoors. make sure that it hangs free and doesn't touch the ground or the sides, so it will push aside easily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks nice. Add a few more plants.

GroovyBrent

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA
Nice little home!
Two suggestions: The tortoise isn't going to understand that he should only enter and leave through that sloped area. He will try to enter and leave in every place in that pool. Mine do. Watch and make sure that no area of the edge looks like it could be a tipping hazard. I also poured a small cement area "apron" around my ponds to cut down on the debris that gets tracked into the water.
Also, I'd place a rubber flap, attached at the top, to keep out air drafts from the night house. I've used very inexpensive, automotive floor mats with good results. I've never met a tortoise that didn't instinctively push it aside and get indoors. make sure that it hangs free and doesn't touch the ground or the sides, so it will push aside easily.

Good suggestions!

We've made sure the "deep" end is shallow enough for him to climb out (and watched him do it a couple times). Haven't observed if he's capable of climbing *in* yet, but I think we're good there.

The flap on the opening of his warm box is something we're going to add. I'm going to experiment with creating something out of a couple layers of fake vines. If that doesn't work (I'd put chances of failure at around 70%) we're going to go with a doggie door flap or something similar.

GroovyBrent

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA
Looks nice. Add a few more plants.

Thanks! We're going to be filling things in as spring rolls around. We're trying to find a variety of plants that are tortoise friendly *and* will grow in our awful soil. If the current ones thrive, we'll add more of what we have. If not, then we're on the hunt again.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Looking good! I wish I had your climate and could house my redfoot like this year round!