Just read some info

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Just read some info which has puzzled me slightly, it read the following:

High humidity, dampness and cool conditions should be avoided to prevent RNS.

However, I was told to always keep a damp humid area for my western Herman? Any suggestions.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
It may be outdated information. It's true that humidity/dampness and cold temperatures will likely make a tortoise sick, but humidity with heat will not.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Yes, high humidity with cooler temps can be trouble, but with warm temps is optimal.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As well as what Kimber said-High humidity for a Western Hermann's, who have evolved on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, would be very high-consistently in the very high 80's and up. During the daytime under normal activity level temperatures this high humidity would not be a problem. It certainly would not cause RNS as long as the temperatures were adequate. However, at night, when the temperature drops into the mid 50's to low 60's as they should, excessive moisture can be a problem.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think it's the combination of dampness and COOLNESS that's the problem. Dampness and WARMTH is fine. I try to keep the cooler end of my enclosure drier than the warm end. But I'm just a beginner, so let's see what more experienced people have to say.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.