Typical behaviour for a hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
My baby Herman is around 8 months old, I've just gotten him 3 days ago and just a bit concerned as to weather his behaviour is normal. He tends to stay / hide in the same place, under some leaves, where he burrows and sleeps a lot. He doesn't seem to eat a great deal or drink too much. Is this just due to his size, being a baby, and maybe just getting used to his new surroundings?? I do also work full time so dont get to see much of his activity during the day, however there is always some one in and I have been told he does go in his water pool and eat. Maybe I'm just being over protective but I've read up so many things on hatchlings not surviving and it makes me extra precautious.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do sleep a lot. My Leo is usually up early and ready for bed by 4-6. You might very well be missing it all. However, be sure to soak him 2-3 times a week in warm water and have water available 24/7. If he is eating, pooping, drinking and does come out to do all that, he's probably normal. Also make sure temps are right and he's not hiding because he's too cold.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Also, he's only been in his new home for a few days, he's still getting used to it...odds are good that he'll become more relaxed/curious within a week or so. And, it's his instinct to survive by hiding (baby torts have an unenviable place on The Food Chain!)

As long as he's warm enough, getting good food, plenty of water (soaking as often as daily is never a bad idea, but try to stress him/her as little as possible by soaking him/her in an opaque container), pooping and otherwise getting good care, you'll most likely have a very long relationship. :cool:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If its not a temp thing. All tortoises when they go to new homes are like that. They just need to get comfortable. Which takes time. They have to get used to their new house new parents....its very typical

Status
Not open for further replies.