Overwintering and mating behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I am planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise sometime in the next 1-2 months. I would like to know what effects overwintering have on mating behaviour. I will be getting just one tortoise, and I do not plan on breeding tortoises any time in the immediate future.

Also, what are the differences in behaviour between the two genders?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have adult breeding Easterns & Dalmatians (and soon Westerns). For many years some have been brumated (hibernated) annually while others have been kept active all year long. The only difference that I have ever noticed between the two methods is that my brumated tortoises are on a definite schedule in terms of breeding and nesting. I believe that this is because they experience seasonal change in temperature and light which is their stimulus in nature. My year long active Hermann's breed and nest more sporadically than do the other group. I have seen no difference in fertility between the two groups though.
I've seen the same results with other Northern Mediterranean species.

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I have adult breeding Easterns & Dalmatians (and soon Westerns). For many years some have been brumated (hibernated) annually while others have been kept active all year long. The only difference that I have ever noticed between the two methods is that my brumated tortoises are on a definite schedule in terms of breeding and nesting. I believe that this is because they experience seasonal change in temperature and light which is their stimulus in nature. My year long active Hermann's breed and nest more sporadically than do the other group. I have seen no difference in fertility between the two groups though.
I've seen the same results with other Northern Mediterranean species.

Thanks.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
And to answer your 2nd question "Also, what are the differences in behaviour between the two genders?":

None, really. Sometimes males are a little territorial, but that's really more of a Horsfield's tortoise attitude than a Hermann's, which, in either gender, is more typically "Glad to see ya...what treat did you bring me?" :p

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
And to answer your 2nd question "Also, what are the differences in behaviour between the two genders?":

None, really. Sometimes males are a little territorial, but that's really more of a Horsfield's tortoise attitude than a Hermann's, which, in either gender, is more typically "Glad to see ya...what treat did you bring me?" :p

Thanks! I could never find consistent information about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.