Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and to tortoise keeping. I was given 2 E. Hermann's tortoises, recently. I'm not quite sure how old they are. I've been doing a lot of reading about them and have found out that they didn't live in optimum conditions--almost 0 enviro humidity-- as their shells are awfully pyramided, especially the female's. I read there's no way to reverse it but that I can prevent it from getting worse. I have 40:60 peat moss to top soil mix. I keep it moist by spraying it daily. The tortoises get misted in the process and seem to enjoy it. Other than their abnormal shells, they have healthy appetites, they're alert and active.

The 2 questions I have for now are: how often should I feed them? And is there any chance of them breeding, if they are kept together. The male has been exhibiting mating behaviour (biting her legs and chasing & bumping her). I'm not looking to breed them. I'm trying to avoid it, if I can.

Tkx! Looking forward to learning lots! [TURTLE][TURTLE][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

dona

5 Year Member
Jabuticaba said:
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and to tortoise keeping. I was given 2 E. Hermann's tortoises, recently. I'm not quite sure how old they are. I've been doing a lot of reading about them and have found out that they didn't live in optimum conditions--almost 0 enviro humidity-- as their shells are awfully pyramided, especially the female's. I read there's no way to reverse it but that I can prevent it from getting worse. I have 40:60 peat moss to top soil mix. I keep it moist by spraying it daily. The tortoises get misted in the process and seem to enjoy it. Other than their abnormal shells, they have healthy appetites, they're alert and active.

The 2 questions I have for now are: how often should I feed them? And is there any chance of them breeding, if they are kept together. The male has been exhibiting mating behaviour (biting her legs and chasing & bumping her). I'm not looking to breed them. I'm trying to avoid it, if I can.

Tkx! Looking forward to learning lots! [TURTLE][TURTLE][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

HI THERE,
IF THEY DO BREED AND LAY EGGS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HATCH THEM, YOU CAN QUIETLY DISPOSE OF THEM. I FEED MY TORTS ONCE A DAY USUALLY ALL THEY WILL EAT IN 20 MIN. PUT SOME FAKE PLANTS AND HIDING PLACES IN WITH THEM SO THE FEMALE CAN GET AWAY AND HAVE HER PRIVTE TIME WITHOUT BEING BOTHERED, LIKE FLOWER POT ON ITS SIDE, A CARDBOARD BOX, ETC.
DONA

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thank you, Dona! I've got a hiding place for them, perhaps I should add more options. Good to know about the eggs. I'm in the rescue business, so pet trading isn't in the horizon. Tks again!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE], & Wallace[TURTLE].

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:)

Thanks!

luvpetz27 said:
Hi and welcome!! :)

Thanks!

HI THERE,
IF THEY DO BREED AND LAY EGGS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HATCH THEM, YOU CAN QUIETLY DISPOSE OF THEM. I FEED MY TORTS ONCE A DAY USUALLY ALL THEY WILL EAT IN 20 MIN. PUT SOME FAKE PLANTS AND HIDING PLACES IN WITH THEM SO THE FEMALE CAN GET AWAY AND HAVE HER PRIVTE TIME WITHOUT BEING BOTHERED, LIKE FLOWER POT ON ITS SIDE, A CARDBOARD BOX, ETC.
DONA
[/quote]

Hi, Dona. Tks for your response. I replied below (or is it above??...I'm still learning to use this app.) LOL

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
A 1:1 gender ratio is not good, as your male will cause your female a lot of stress, possibly eventually leading to her death...male tortoises tend to be eternally "in the mood" when a female is present.

2 solutions: seperate enclosures or adding at least one more female, so that your male's "hormonal glee" will be divided.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Terry Allan Hall said:
A 1:1 gender ratio is not good, as your male will cause your female a lot of stress, possibly eventually leading to her death...male tortoises tend to be eternally "in the mood" when a female is present.

2 solutions: seperate enclosures or adding at least one more female, so that your male's "hormonal glee" will be divided.

Thank you, Terry! I'm going to separate them for sure. I'm not looking to increase # of pets. I already have 3 dogs and fish, as well.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Logan J

5 Year Member
Hey !

Also be careful with dogs around they tend to think of torts as chew toys...

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Logan J said:
Hey !

Also be careful with dogs around they tend to think of torts as chew toys...

Thanks! Yes, I keep my torts in a room of their own, with the door closed when I'm home. I've introduced my dogs and torts. The torts seem more interested in the dogs than the other way around. LOL! Still, no unattended interactions. I've seen too many tragedies of the sort in dog rescue. :(

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Hi May! I am new here too. Welcome!
Are you sure they are male and female?
Pic's would be great. I love seeing everyone's torts!

Ann from CT

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
AnnV said:
Hi May! I am new here too. Welcome!
Are you sure they are male and female?
Pic's would be great. I love seeing everyone's torts!

Ann from CT

Thanks, Ann! Welcome! Yes, I'm sure I've got one of each. I'll try getting some pictures soon.

Winnipeg, Canada

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
Hello and welcome!
I just rescued a 2-3 year old Hermanns that had no lighting for a year and a half :( I have learned so much on this forum...
There are a few of us Canadians on this crazy tort forum...lol :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
jax7271 said:
Hello and welcome!
I just rescued a 2-3 year old Hermanns that had no lighting for a year and a half :( I have learned so much on this forum...
There are a few of us Canadians on this crazy tort forum...lol :)

Thank you! Poor little guy/girl! Good on you for rescuing it! My guys were apparently UVB deprived, as well, before my friend rescued them 4-5 yrs ago. So many people just don't know what they're doing, yet there's a whole world of info out there! <SIGH> this forum has been super helpful, as I'm totally new to captive torts. (I grew up with torts in the Amazon region, but I never had to manage their enviro, like I have to with my THBs.)

What part of Canada??

Winnipeg, Canada

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
Southern Ontario, about an hour outside of Toronto in the country...so I'm thinking Winnipeg must be a big change from the Amazon.... :)
Julie

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
jax7271 said:
Southern Ontario, about an hour outside of Toronto in the country...so I'm thinking Winnipeg must be a big change from the Amazon.... :)
Julie

Hey, Julie! I've only been as far as Kenora. :) Yes, big change! I did live in BC until 7 yrs ago, though.

Winnipeg, Canada

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So, today we had more than our usual 20-minute soak: a good scrubbin'! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375323459.116482.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375323490.141481.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375323518.501179.jpg

Winnipeg, Canada

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1375323437.523725.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1375323437.523725.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Welcome to the forum-a member in Manitoba YEAH!!!!!

Great you joined the world of tortoise ownership, they are amazing creatures!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Tortoise said:
Welcome to the forum-a member in Manitoba YEAH!!!!!

Great you joined the world of tortoise ownership, they are amazing creatures!

Thanks, Louise! I love my new torts! Where are you in MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.