Laying at 105? Really?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Checking on things just now as its our 6th day over 100 and is 105f right now. The shade sails are doing their job of shading most of the pond until trees grow. Then I noticed something up towards the upper pond...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467325856.680510.jpg

A Suwannee cooter decided it's a good time to nest?? I usually check for nests between 6 and 8 pm!!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467325929.542612.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know what it's like to need to lay eggs, but hey, when you gotta "go" you gotta "go".

We had a spell of a couple days close to 120 a couple weeks ago. Had two leopard nests laid in partial shade. crazy.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So I decided to get the eggs right away. Didn't want hard boiled!! Also if I get them right away I don't worry about turning and can wash and turn them any way I want. 13 is a smaller clutch for Suwanees but she's a younger smaller f3 female. And, yes, that's just moist paper towel. I've been incubating eggs on paper towels for about 35 years now. About 8 layers I can poke depressions in. Easy to tell if it's drying out but holds humidity up really well. Never worry about hatchling eating anything harmful when they pip.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467327502.033942.jpg

So now in the incubator with 78 other various eggs so far. Incubator actually set at 86.5f. Just reading higher with open door and hot garage its in

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467327661.971962.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I read your subject title and searched my 'library' of tortoise articles trying to find where it said that tortoises can lay eggs right up to the end of their lives, that their reproductive systems don't age, but I couldn't find it. Then I read your thread.
facepalm.png

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Checking on things just now as its our 6th day over 100 and is 105f right now. The shade sails are doing their job of shading most of the pond until trees grow. Then I noticed something up towards the upper pond...

View attachment 178751

A Suwannee cooter decided it's a good time to nest?? I usually check for nests between 6 and 8 pm!!

View attachment 178752

Whoa, gorgeous set up !

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I read your subject title and searched my 'library' of tortoise articles trying to find where it said that tortoises can lay eggs right up to the end of their lives, that their reproductive systems don't age, but I couldn't find it. Then I read your thread.
facepalm.png

Now that's funny!! I guess I have to watch my titles for double meanings!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't know about laying eggs but that is an awesome setup one definitely to be jealous of.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also found one of the bluegills had taken over a plant basket for his nest. One of the painted turtles liked to dig under the plant that was in this basket. I only plant them in gravel to get the best root exposure to water for filtration and nitrate help. Well, the turtle ended up totally digging up the plant leaving two baskets of gravel. This male bluegill is not spending all his time attracting as many females in as possible to get them to add eggs to his nest. He guards it fiercely even driving off the biggest turtles! Should have bluegill babies (fry) now in a few days!

IMG_3400.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was thinking along Yvonnes line of thinking. A 105 year old laying eggs. I have no idea if that's to old or not. But, like Neal said, if you got to go, you got to go. And at an older age you really gotta go. I hear:D
How big is that young female? She looks huge. I so envy your place. The ponds are a dream. The whole place is. I would never want to leave.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

View attachment 178751

View attachment 178752
Love your pictures! The land and waterscapes are beautifully done. What is this place?