Lefty thinks she's a water turtle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
so earlier around 6 pm I noticed Lefty sitting in her huge water bowl...and she was bathing...so while she was in there i replaced the cold water with warm.....and she stayed in there while I did it. Once the water was all warm she sprawled out all limbs and submerged her head....well it's 11:20 now and she's still in there:rolleyes:..I'am ready to go to bed soon, but think I should take her out....just so I can sleep without fear of something happening...I am sure she knows whats best for her....anyway i snapped this shot of her...:D
leftysoak.jpg

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have several easterns that will soak for days at a time (all night too) I have removed them from the water, and they usually return. My pans have 3 to 4" of water. They can stay submerged for a very long time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she continues to do that. Try placing the water dish under a heat light or add a light over it to keep the water warm. Then you can rest easy:D. Beautiful tort by the way.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
On a sunny day, my box turtles will sit in the pond for hours. They also stay in there searching for mosquito lava or any other little buggie thing. They love the duckweed too. I love seeing pictures of Lefty....keep them coming.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
wellington said:
If she continues to do that. Try placing the water dish under a heat light or add a light over it to keep the water warm. Then you can rest easy:D. Beautiful tort by the way.

I have a basking light over the water....but I turn them off at night...they are on all day....:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have to get a bigger dish for mine, I have a terra cotta bowl and I feel bad when I come home and they are sitting in the bowl but all the water is gone from them going in and out and the substrate absorbing it.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
dmarcus said:
I have to get a bigger dish for mine, I have a terra cotta bowl and I feel bad when I come home and they are sitting in the bowl but all the water is gone from them going in and out and the substrate absorbing it.

I thought about terra cotta, but when i saw the plastic one I though it would be easier to clean, plus not absorb all the water....and its lighter ...you can get the type that I have in the garden section ...it was cheap and works great:D:cool:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats what I'm gonna do, plus one of there enclosure plants didn't make it due to the digging so instead of replacing it I will give the a wider bowl.

I sure you have mentioned it, but how old is Lefty?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
dmarcus said:
Thats what I'm gonna do, plus one of there enclosure plants didn't make it due to the digging so instead of replacing it I will give the a wider bowl.

I sure you have mentioned it, but how old is Lefty?

She must be over 20...I rescued her and I got her from a lady who said she had her over 10 years, and she got her from a petstore..she was alreadt full grown when she got her....

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
ive got a basking light close to mine in the day one is turned on, (a spotlight) and at night i have a red heat bulb glowing so either way the water is rather warm :p

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
ive got a basking light close to mine in the day one is turned on, (a spotlight) and at night i have a red heat bulb glowing so either way the water is rather warm :p

U dont use the ceramic heat emitters ?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
no i dont, i would but since i had the regular lamps and the bulbs its alright one day ill get them but they arent "neccisary" the bulbs alone around here are 45$ +/- and then you need a special fixture or risk an early burnout. so as of now i have and will stick with regular ol' spot lights and red lights :)

Plus with the red light i can observe their nighttime movements :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
no i dont, i would but since i had the regular lamps and the bulbs its alright one day ill get them but they arent "neccisary" the bulbs alone around here are 45$ +/- and then you need a special fixture or risk an early burnout. so as of now i have and will stick with regular ol' spot lights and red lights :)

Plus with the red light i can observe their nighttime movements :)

Ya I ordered a bulb on amazon for like 20 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.