Lemmy my Russian tortoise

Moo1967

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester uk
I bought my Russian tortoise yesterday from a pet shop that has been selling all sorts of reptiles for over 30 years, so I was quite reassured. I bought the ‘starter enclosure’ with Lemmy I am concerned that a) didn’t appear to be eating b) just seems to go into one corner for the whole 24 hours I’ve had him/her not sure what gender Lemmy is! Is the not eating due to being stressed from the move to my home? Lemmy did poop yesterday a couple of times and did pee aswell. I’ve enclosed a pic of the set up. Rest assured more items will be going in as soon as they’ve arrived. I did put Lemmy in a warm ‘bath’ yesterday seemed to enjoy that. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome from Devon - there are going to be much more knowledgeable people on the forum to advise you, but I just wanted to say that it is normal for a tortoise to take quite a while to settle down and feel safe in a new environment -he/she will be very confused at first. If you have any dandelion leaves available, leave a couple close to Lemmy -that might tempt him.
Angie

Moo1967

Manchester uk
Welcome from Devon - there are going to be much more knowledgeable people on the forum to advise you, but I just wanted to say that it is normal for a tortoise to take quite a while to settle down and feel safe in a new environment -he/she will be very confused at first. If you have any dandelion leaves available, leave a couple close to Lemmy -that might tempt him.
Angie
Aw thank you. The pet shop gave me a dried fruit mix I think this has dandelions in it. I’ve put some in hopefully Lemmy will eat that. I’m so confused as I thought they ate most fruit and veg but am learning not so!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We have a Hermanns tortoise, Zola, who has just celebrated his 24th birthday - we got him as a baby,and he is our pride and joy. I only wish this forum had existed when we first got him, as there is so much to learn, which is often very different to what the pet shops may tell you.
How old is Lemmy ?

Moo1967

Manchester uk
We have a Hermanns tortoise, Zola, who has just celebrated his 24th birthday - we got him as a baby,and he is our pride and joy. I only wish this forum had existed when we first got him, as there is so much to learn, which is often very different to what the pet shops may tell you.
How old is Lemmy ?
I’m really not sure the age - never thought to ask, I had my 6 year old granddaughter who wouldn’t shut up and let me listen! If size is anything to go by I’ll include a pic of me holding Lemmy. Seemed to love bring in the water for a short while yesterday - is bathing something I should do often? Or once a week. I’ve read mixed advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Lemmy is not full grown. I would say that he is under 10 years old. There isn't really such a thing as too much soaking. You can bathe him every day if you have the time but as he is not a baby anymore skipping days avery now and then won't be a problem.

He has some clear pyramiding. I would say he he's captive bred and was raised too dry during the first sensitive months of his life. The pyramiding can't be reversed, but you can make sure he will grow healthy from now on.

Take a look at these threads if you haven't already:

Info for new people, a good place to start your research: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

Common keeping errors, helps you to avoid misinformation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/common-keeping-errors.217956/

Picture guide to housing young Russians: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/housing-young-russian-herman.217806/

Care sheet for Russians: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Tom's brumation thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/ (You don't have to dive in to brumation if you don't feel ready yet. You can also opt for keeping your tortoise up the whole winter.)

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Lemmy is not full grown. I would say that he is under 10 years old.
Also, this means that he or she probably can't be sexed yet. But if you send us a picture of the underside of his shell and his tail we might be able to make an educated guess. All tortoises present female characteristics at first before the hormones start running (for Russians, round the 10 year mark) and then you will be able to tell the difference between males and females from the outside.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I’m really not sure the age - never thought to ask, I had my 6 year old granddaughter who wouldn’t shut up and let me listen! If size is anything to go by I’ll include a pic of me holding Lemmy. Seemed to love bring in the water for a short while yesterday - is bathing something I should do often? Or once a week. I’ve read mixed advice!
You should give him a warm water soak every day, if possible, and give him time to get moving around in the water, as it's very good exercise for him. You may not know (I didn't) that tortoises absorb water through their cloaca, so it also helps to keep him hydrated, even if he doesn't drink much.

Moo1967

Manchester uk
Also, this means that he or she probably can't be sexed yet. But if you send us a picture of the underside of his shell and his tail we might be able to make an educated guess. All tortoises present female characteristics at first before the hormones start running (for Russians, round the 10 year mark) and then you will be able to tell the difference between males and females from the outside.
Oh thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yep, she/he is showing female characteristics but that could still change with age. He/she looks too young to be sexually mature yet!